SST?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Traveler

SST?

Post by Traveler »

I'm in the process of putting new wheel bearings on the front of my MX-3 GS. Needless to say I'm having problems. According to the manual I need all these special tools. ie, ball joint puller, wheel hub puller, bearing installer,dust cover installer,etc.etc..... There has got to be a why to work on these cars without purchasing all these special tools, or at least the purchase of a minimum. I have a lot of other work that need to be done also. Please could someone give me some help on what I will need and what I may be able to use or get by with?
pelado

Re: SST?

Post by pelado »

You don't have to buy all of those tools. You can either rent them or if you have an AutoZone near by, you can rent them for free! You put down a deposit and you get your deposit back when you brind the tool back. That way they're not out the purchase price of the tool should it not find it's way home.<BR>I have found that you can get by without most of the tools you mention but those tools do make the job a LOT easier! You can use large sockets for bearing installers and use a drift from the backside to remove the race. Work slowly and evenly so you don't get it cocked.<BR>You'll find that you will begin to accumulate some of these tools as the years go by if you continue to do your own maintenance, since it's a PITA to go get one everytime you need it. Good luck!
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Are you replacing both or just one bearing?<BR>Just trying to figure out if you need the bearing(s) replaced or not. If it's bad, it'll make a loud roaring noise. A cupped tire will make the same noise.
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Thank you so much for your response. I will check out Auto Zone for the tools I need. There are several in my area. Next I will be tackling struts and springs. Will let you know how everything works out.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

My local mazda dealer laughed when I asked about those SST's. They said they're all from Japan, and out of production, so nearly impossible to get. At any rate, there's no reason to use most of them, as something that will do the same job is available at your local autoparts store or good ol' Sears with their Craftsman line. :darin:
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”