Tire pressure

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Redline

Tire pressure

Post by Redline »

I just got a set of new tires/rims. I haven't touched the pressure since I got them. Should I use the pressure on the inside of the door, or a little higher to get a bit of stiffness out of them? Oh by the way they are Nitto Extremes.
ProtegeSTS

Re: Tire pressure

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Redline:<BR><STRONG>I just got a set of new tires/rims. I haven't touched the pressure since I got them. Should I use the pressure on the inside of the door, or a little higher to get a bit of stiffness out of them? Oh by the way they are Nitto Extremes.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Start with 35 front and 32 rear. Then adjust them according to the wear you see. If the center is wearing quicker, deflate them more, or vice versa.<p>[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: ProtegeSTS ]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
back alley

Post by back alley »

isn't 35 a bit high for normal tire pressure?
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

I keep mine at 30,probs.
hi
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by back alley:<BR><STRONG>isn't 35 a bit high for normal tire pressure?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>depends on your personal habits and likes... <P>more pressure = a bit harsher ride, but a bit better "directness" in handling. <P>more pressure in front = more understeer<BR>more pressure in rear = more oversteer<P>you need to play with those for awhile to figure out what you need. but i would do it by tire wear for most people, cuz you wont be able to dial in the tire pressures correctly for daily driving.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Hehe I usually run 40 in front 32 in rear for a normal set of tires.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by torpedan:<BR><STRONG>Hehe I usually run 40 in front 32 in rear for a normal set of tires.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>so you like understeer? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

What's the best pressure for drag racing w/ street tires?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

hmm, no correct answer here as there are too many variables, but id start at about 25psi and expiriment to see where you get the best ETs. Remember that lower pressures = less middle contact patch AND more drag. <P>Even if you get a better 60', youre ET might stay the same.<P>Remember to pump the tires back up to normal pressures before leaving.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Yeah, although sometimes i just like screwing around to. LIke the car i learned to drive in a 1974 opel.. That car was a blast.. itty bitty rear wheel drive, some performance work had been done to it and the steering wheel was about 11 inches in diamiter =]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”