How much should I lower my MX?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Q187

How much should I lower my MX?

Post by Q187 »

Check out this pic real quick:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.bcms-inc.com/MIKE/MX3-1.JPG" TARGET=_blank>http://www.bcms-inc.com/MIKE/MX3-1.JPG</A> <P>How much do you think I should lower it? I don't want it to be real low....lowering it just makes it look 10 times better. Do you think about 1.25? Anyone?
Mradio

Re: How much should I lower my MX?

Post by Mradio »

with those rims, i'd say 1.5, you shouldn't have any problems riding around. good luck <BR> :)
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
white fish

Post by white fish »

get coil overs and you decide
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Is that your car? Nice rims. Yeah anything from a 1.3 to 1.7 drop should be fine. I know people that have done both, and they both look good, it just depends on tire and rim size. Remember you want the tires to fill up the wheel well so make sure you drop it enough to do that. <P>And one suggestion, take off that bra or at least make sure it's on properly!! :P j/k.. It will fade your paint after a while though. I had to get my tanline professionally buffed out.
1993 MX-3 RS/GS-R Under Construction
Q187

Post by Q187 »

Yes it's my car....and I have the bra on for a reason. I polish and wax under there every few weeks.
precidian

Post by precidian »

I wouldn't go lower than 1.5". Otherwise you will have issues with alignment in your suspension possibly causing problems with tire wear.<BR>My car is only lowered about 1.5" and have had no problems to date. <BR>This is the car lowered with the stok 15" wheels on:<BR> Image <P>this one is with the 18s:<BR> Image <P>hope this helps.<BR>cheers,
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

no more than 1.5", but id suggest 1.0" due to lack of travel due to the strut design.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
freakuency

Post by freakuency »

Hey Precidian, what kind of springs do you have that will lower 1.5"? i think your car looks great with the 18's on ... and oh yeah. what brand springs will lower the mx 1"? the only one i know off the top of my head is eibach.. and they discontinued those. there's also ground control that make the coil-overs ...do they still make them?
'93 MX-3 GS<BR>Ractive Dual-tip 3" Muffler<BR>Ractive strut tower Bar<BR>Custom CAI
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by freakuency:<BR><STRONG>Hey Precidian, what kind of springs do you have that will lower 1.5"? i think your car looks great with the 18's on ... and oh yeah. what brand springs will lower the mx 1"? the only one i know off the top of my head is eibach.. and they discontinued those. there's also ground control that make the coil-overs ...do they still make them?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I believe he has the APEX springs, I think I will be getting those as well in the spring.
KingFisher

Post by KingFisher »

yeah when I talked to Precidian he told me and I saw that he uses Apex, and the Eibach will drop you even less then 1.5".
ANDREW*<BR>1996 Mazda MX-3 GS
MX-3 Extreme

Post by MX-3 Extreme »

Yes I am using apex suspention aswell and it drops it 1.5" and looks great and the ride is still very good,I would suggest changing your struts to cause you eventually damage the stock struts beacause the strut travel internally is not low enough.I changed my struts to tokico and have had no problems and love the way the car sits and rides.<P>Killer Mx3
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KillerMX3:<BR><STRONG>Yes I am using apex suspention aswell and it drops it 1.5" and looks great and the ride is still very good,I would suggest changing your struts to cause you eventually damage the stock struts beacause the strut travel internally is not low enough.I changed my struts to tokico and have had no problems and love the way the car sits and rides.<P>Killer Mx3</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Im not sure of the spring rates on the Apex springs, but with a 1.5" lowering, you have to be close to the limit of the Tokicos. I think your ride is probably a bit on the side of being underdampened......just my opinion though<P> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
MX-3 Extreme

Post by MX-3 Extreme »

Accually the tokico strut can travel a lot more than 1.5 .my stopper high on the car is still the same high as stock,Tokico designs there struts to perform above and beyond their specs so people can use these struts and other suspension parts for custom applications and not exceed warranty coverage,this is why they offer life time on suspension parts designed for each car application.I checked with tokico before installing these struts with the apex springs and they really recomended the setup.I really enjoy the way the car handles and rides,it does not bounce or feel to rough when hitting bumps or anything.I would recomend this setup to any MX-3'r.<P>Killer Mx3
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KillerMX3:<BR><STRONG>Accually the tokico strut can travel a lot more than 1.5 .my stopper high on the car is still the same high as stock,Tokico designs there struts to perform above and beyond their specs so people can use these struts and other suspension parts for custom applications and not exceed warranty coverage,this is why they offer life time on suspension parts designed for each car application.I checked with tokico before installing these struts with the apex springs and they really recomended the setup.I really enjoy the way the car handles and rides,it does not bounce or feel to rough when hitting bumps or anything.I would recomend this setup to any MX-3'r.<P>Killer Mx3</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Read your warranty. Anything over a 1.5" lowering beyond oem ride height and your warranty goes poof. Remember, they are a business, and are always going to try to sell you something.<P>Please dont take this as that im not a fan of the tokico blue struts. I have them on my car, and am quite happy with them, but my springs are only a 1" drop, and are on the soft side. Im just trying to make sure that people get the handling and ride that they want.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”