Is this a good turbo manifold for 1,6 SOHC?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
The black evil

Is this a good turbo manifold for 1,6 SOHC?

Post by The black evil »

I was looking for around on the net and I found this site:
http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/thk.html
Check the mazda on the middle of the site.
Is that thing work?
:shrug:
Live free and Die well
BuGS

Re: Is this a good turbo manifold for 1,6 SOHC?

Post by BuGS »

If you can weld that would work. I would still say hold off and find a BP engine then swap that over. From the power you will get out of the SOHC from turboing it you can get out of a N/A BP. Then turbo the BP and have around 200HP relativly easy. Thats what I am doing anyways...
What

Post by What »

wow, $250USD just seems like a bad deal for a log-style manifold that you still have to weld up a flange for and cut holes in. I'd just go with something custom (and done) from a reputable builder that makes good stuff.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

BuGS wrote:If you can weld that would work. I would still say hold off and find a BP engine then swap that over. From the power you will get out of the SOHC from turboing it you can get out of a N/A BP. Then turbo the BP and have around 200HP relativly easy. Thats what I am doing anyways...
I have made around 175 hp easily with 7 psi on a stock 1.6L 16v sohc engine, using 1/4 mile times and vehicle weight.

Stevo
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Stevo wrote:
BuGS wrote:If you can weld that would work. I would still say hold off and find a BP engine then swap that over. From the power you will get out of the SOHC from turboing it you can get out of a N/A BP. Then turbo the BP and have around 200HP relativly easy. Thats what I am doing anyways...
I have made around 175 hp easily with 7 psi on a stock 1.6L 16v sohc engine, using 1/4 mile times and vehicle weight.

Stevo
How much have you spent? I have so far spent around $1000 and have a BP (with rebuilt head), G series Tranny, Harness, ECU, Turbo (with less then 1mm of shaft play), Manifold, IC, and Greddy Emanage with PC tool. Now a couple more hundred for oil lines IC pipes and dyno tuneing then prolly around $500 for exhaust, then $200 more for injectors and new fuel pump, so around $1900 and I will have around 225 HP to the wheels.

So for the money I am spending It seemed for senseable to go this way then to spend $2000 on my SOHC and turbo that, end up with a Weaker tranny, Maxing my engine Plus some to get my target, and not having any bottom end, I decided to go DOHC BP. That is the sensable choice in my book.

That is My opinion. I have been adding the things up for the last 7 months. And that has what all of my findings have told me. I am going the harder turbo way, You you want a quick and easy way go GTX.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Less than $1100 in the entire build, including vehicle and suspension upgrades.
It is not in a MX3 though, it is in a Festiva, and it is not injected, it is blow-through carbureted with homemade intake and exhaust manifolds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/s ... R_side.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/s ... b02050.jpg

Main point I am making is that the SOHC 16v engine has potential, there is a good bit of power to be found in the engine. Before the turbo, with the free-flowing intake manifold, and a ported stock exhaust manifold I was at least 100 hp to the wheels. With my new hybrid longblock, I no longer have power issues, I have clutch, transmission, and traction issues.

Stevo
Calkidd

Post by Calkidd »

What wrote:wow, $250USD just seems like a bad deal for a log-style manifold that you still have to weld up a flange for and cut holes in. I'd just go with something custom (and done) from a reputable builder that makes good stuff.
That is the price if you purchase it with it already welded together. If you do the whole thing yourself then the kit is only $150.00
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

sounds tempting to me...
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

Stevo, you are amazing.

I love that setup, I want to show everyone that the sohc has potential as well, but... I haven't the wallet for it. :P Right now at-least.

Return to “Forced Induction”