wiring an APEXi S-AFC to K8 V6 ECU

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

wiring an APEXi S-AFC to K8 V6 ECU

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

I've searched the ubb for related threads and no help so far. I'm having some serious issues with my frigin car now.

At first, it was all dandy and rosy, but today my idle shot up to 2000 rpm. It also stals as soon as you start the motor.

Has anyone installed this on the K8 ECU ??? I need some wiring/tuning tips please!

any help is appreciated.

Thanks
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Re: wiring an APEXi S-AFC to K8 V6 ECU

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Ok. so after spending a few hours last night on it, I think I figured it out ( rpm wasnt registering).

Now, my car continues to rev very high ( 1500-2000). I disconected the battery over night to see if the ecu had learned some bad habbit, but its now the morning and it continues to do it.

Any Ideas please?

Thanks again
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

custom101

Post by custom101 »

I have a ZE installed with the K8 ecu, but I had a DSM guy install my S-AFC. All he needed was the pinouts for the ECU. I can give them to you if it's any help.

:shrug:
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
12.21@114
Yeah it's stock...
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Originally posted by custom101:
I have a ZE installed with the K8 ecu, but I had a DSM guy install my S-AFC. All he needed was the pinouts for the ECU. I can give them to you if it's any help.

:shrug:
If you still have them, perfect! I think i got it straightened out now, but its always nice to double check.

The S-AFC needs to be tuned properly cause im still running lean. I had my friend mess around with it tonight and got it goin pretty good. My idle also came down a bit after playing around with the tps.

It bogs out under hard acceleration at around 3000-4500 rpm. Is that because their is too much gas, or not enough? There must be at least 10 factors that contribute to this I presume...

Thanks for any help.
OSKY

cris_barros

Post by cris_barros »

Well..

I don't have a S-AFC in my car, but from what I know, it's worthless with the V6 engine.

You can find a lot on info about the S-AFC here

From Jeff Abrams:
The KL PCM doesn't respond to VAF modification very well. This is why most S-AFC installations don't produce any results.
I used the Link AFM on my KL-DE and ended up setting it to zero and using other methods.

I am currently running an E-Manage on my RX-8. Works like a charm there, but the RX-8 has a hot-wire MAF, not a VAF.

The E-Manage can control ignition timing and directly ADD to injector pulse duty cycle. You would only be able to use the ignition timing control if you have an MSD or something similar.

I think it is possible to use the E-Manage with bigger injectors on the KL, but I can't say that it would produce satisfactory results in this capacity.
I would, however, use it to control extra injectors and adjust the stock injectors and ignition timing
Good luck ;)

p.s. I don't understand why are you running a S-AFC in your engine...are you boosted?? Any mod??
Cris

cris_barros

Post by cris_barros »

Oops... :D

I figured out that it is in the FI section...so it's supposed to be boosted..sorry :cool:
Cris

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Yes, its finally boosted.

Im running an IHI turbo from the older 2.2 probes on a KLZE. I installed a small side mounted intercooler; its in the area of the horn assembly.

Its currently set at its minimum which is prolly about 3-4 psi if that! Running like a charm. Not sure if the SAFC does anything other than look good :D

I finally got the idle under control, I was pretty upset and regretting the whole turbo project initially, but with a bit of patience, I must say it was all worth it in the end!
OSKY

babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

hey oscar got any pics of your set-up??..I'm interested in your piping route
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
your2slow

Post by your2slow »

Hey Oscar, James (we met @ Gabi's) So how is the turbo doing? LOL was @ gabi's shop when you called that night on the highway back to TO. Just before you called we were jokin about you calling needing a tow. What happened? And when you going to get some 1/4 times ??? Can't wait to hear how it does. :2thumbsup:

<small>[ July 11, 2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: your2slow ]</small>
KL-ZE, Custom Intake, Apex Lowering Springs, and more to come this year.

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

HAHA 1st gen MX6 turbos suck. Ive been messing with them for awhile now as i have a 1st gen mx6. Ive locked one turbo and just recently snapped the shaft on another, spun it too fast only pushing 12 psi! I cant believe it flows well enough for that KLZE! does topend seem to suffer?

I used a Grand national turbo for my KL03. DAMN is it huge. leans out pretty bad though on only 4 psi with a 12:1 FMU AND fuel pump. crazy stuff.

Cool nonetheless, at least you did a turbo install! any pics?
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse

Return to “Forced Induction”