Turbo Piping

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
SE-Man

Turbo Piping

Post by SE-Man »

Well its getting closer to turbo time. I'll be getting a pipe bender and a welding unit soon. My question is, I see most set ups being 3". I was orriganlly going to go with 2". How would 2" piping effect my set-up?
marshmallow15

Re: Turbo Piping

Post by marshmallow15 »

3" turbo piping? where the heck did you see that? there isn't even exhaust piping that big unless its on higher hp/displacement cars. 2"-2.25" should be the norm piping size.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

I seen 3" piping on Probes, Supras, and a few other turbo cars when I was searching around on the web.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i think you have been eating too many marshmallows marshmallow15 lol. every one in the import world and almost everyone goes to 3" exaust and it doesent matter on the displacement size and thats one of my big things is for a 1.6L its too big unless your running like a T4 or something huge. you need to running alot of HP for that big of exaust. but everyone goes to 3"

but SE-Man i would run 3" just because yours is a 2.2. even if you kept it NA i would probably go with 2.5". but for turbo i would definatly go with 3" alot better flow
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Originally posted by Josh:
i think you have been eating too many marshmallows marshmallow15 lol. every one in the import world and almost everyone goes to 3" exaust and it doesent matter on the displacement size and thats one of my big things is for a 1.6L its too big unless your running like a T4 or something huge. you need to running alot of HP for that big of exaust. but everyone goes to 3"

but SE-Man i would run 3" just because yours is a 2.2. even if you kept it NA i would probably go with 2.5". but for turbo i would definatly go with 3" alot better flow
Uhh.. I think this guy is talking about intercooler piping. If so I would definitely stay away from 3 inch. Waayyy too much lag.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Originally posted by cjthor:

Uhh.. I think this guy is talking about intercooler piping. If so I would definitely stay away from 3 inch. Waayyy too much lag.
i was talking about exaust i dont know why i was but for some reason i did.

when it comes to intercooler piping pretty much the standard is 2" depending on your turbo size. some turbos have a 3" opening and therefore you need 3" piping.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

ahahah told you. :p yea 3" exhaust is pretty norm for some high hp cars, but 3" intercooler piping? c'mon now... 2-2.25" at the most for a homemade kit. ive seen some greddy turbo kits that come with 2.5" which are the biggest you should get.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

some turbos have a 3" opening and therefore you need 3" piping.
a reducer pipe or rubber connector will solve that. i have yet to see any daily driven turbo car with less than 400hp with 3" turbo piping.. so unless you plan to go REALLY up there in hp numbers, keep it at 2" or so.
- team slideways
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

Oh.... I'm sorry guys. I was talking about the exhaust piping I should have been more clear.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

in that case, 2.5" exhaust will be big enough. what exactly are your turbo and hp goals? if its a normal 175-250hp homemade kit, 2.5" will be good.
- team slideways
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

I'm not ask what should i use, I'm asking what the effect would be if I were to use 2" pipe at I'm hoping to get 5-10PSI in boost. Not really looking to get over 200hp to the wheels.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

ah ic. well mostly its all in the backpressure. with 2" and a turbo, i think you'll have a little too much backpressure which could limit your performance at some point (correct me if i'm wrong) and with a 2.5" exhaust, you'll have plenty of room for more backpressure and the exhaust won't be too big. all i know is that if you have TOO much backpressure, it's not good.

oh and if you don't know what backpressure is, just think of the engine making power, and when the explosion in the combustion chamber creates exhaust gases which exit the car via exhaust pulses in the exhaust system. these pulses follow one another into a continuous motion and the backpressure is when those pulses are pushing up against each other and putting pressure on the engine which makes the engine work harder to push those exhaust gases out, thus limiting performance at some point. i'm not sure if i'm entirely right with that explanation, but to my knowledge thats the best i can explain it.
- team slideways
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Actually 3" exhaust piping is quite large. I would go closer to a 2.5" exhaust piping. The only time I see a 3" exhaust is on HIGH horespower, HIGH displacement engines. A lot of people use a 3" downpipe, but not exhaust. You will loose the velocity you need. Stick with a 2.5" or smaller.

Get 'Maximum Boost' by Corky Bell. It gives you an equasion for figuring out exhaust pipe size.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

once more, were getting into "what you think I should have" and not the question posted. What do you think would be the effect of a 2" turbo piping on my set up.

Sorry If i sounded sarcastic, I didn't mean it that way. I have the same question on three other boards and Marshmellow is the only one how has given somewhat of an answer.

Return to “Forced Induction”