Replacing water Pump

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
robtn

Replacing water Pump

Post by robtn »

Hi
I have a 1992 mx-3 1.6 4 cylinder and coolant is leaking from the water pump and I want to replace it,
1. Do I have to remove the timing belt? If so, do I need any special tools?

2. Do I have to remove any engine supports?

3. Is this repair (replacing the water pump) an extremely complicate procedure or can a "quasi" backyard mechanic do it?
Thanks
lakersfan1

Re: Replacing water Pump

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by robtn:

3. Is this repair (replacing the water pump) an extremely complicate procedure or can a "quasi" backyard mechanic do it?
Well, it doesn't involve any diagnostics tools, so you can do it by yourself. Just give yourself a whole 2 day weekend, have a Chiltons on hand, and a decent array of sockets and box wrenches on hand.
Kazik16

Post by Kazik16 »

i think it took me about 10 hours to do it, it is a PAIN IN THE BUM! yes you'll have to take off the timing belt, be pre-pared to be without a car for 2-3 days depending on how long your gonna be spending on it, make sure you clean up where the old gasket was, that hasta be perfectly clean, no old gasket on it whatsoever, or the new one mite leak, and also make sure you use a sealing compound on both sides of the new gasket, that way you get a good seal, good luck! :2thumbsup:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kazik16
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."
-Vernon Sanders Law
robtn

Post by robtn »

since there is no such thing as a stupid question....here goes ... :confused: How do I remove the timing belt??
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by robtn:
since there is no such thing as a stupid question....here goes ... :confused: How do I remove the timing belt??
Read the Chiltons.

Ans as for the gasket sealant, I put alot in the groove of the water pump side, then used my finger to skim the top to get an even bead all the way around. Then, I layed the gasket inside, and layed it on the block. No sealant on the block side. Works great. I've heard of some people using no sealant on the gasket with good results, but must have been a PITA with the gasket trying to fall out. I pretty much just used the saelant to hold the gasket in.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”