turbo/supercharger

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Me53

turbo/supercharger

Post by Me53 »

Witch should i go for a supercharger or turbo... witch will be: cheaper, more effective, easyer to install... i have a 92 v6 mx3.. i really want to get high boost but dont wanna spend 2much... also if any1 knows a cheap place to get one used..

Thx, Joe
Sonicxtacy02

Re: turbo/supercharger

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Invest in grammar classes, then check the FAQs, then search.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by Me53:
Witch should i go for a supercharger or turbo... witch will be: cheaper, more effective, easyer to install... i have a 92 v6 mx3.. i really want to get high boost but dont wanna spend 2much... also if any1 knows a cheap place to get one used..

Wow-- Talk about contradictions...

Neither will be cheap-- AT ALL

Both will require everything to be custom

Both will be hard to install-- you see your v6 engine bay-- there is practically NO room for any piping/plumbing for either system.

You can get a turbo from a junkyard.. & I guess that would be cheap-- but you may have to rebuild it (if you want to)

HIGH boost= HIGH $$$

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news-- but someone had to tell ya.
:shrug:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

which witch is which? :dunno:

JK.....check ebay now and then....they often sell parts for turbo that you can buy cheaply and build your own turbo kit up. I got lucky a few months ago. I bought a T3 Garrett turbo (rebuilt) BOV, WASTEGATE, Greddy Emanage etc etc etc all brand new parts for $1500. I then sold it all for $2300

<small>[ November 17, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Darren Hyderman ]</small>
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

you guys HAVE to stop being a--holes to newbies.

Me53, The price is going to be pretty close to the same with each setup depending on the products you use. Usually, the turbo will be cheaper because parts are easier to come by and easier to customize. The Turbo will be more efficient (meaning the car will get the most out of the setup). Both have a degree of parasitic drag, but the drag from the supercharger is a lot greater. Ease of installation.... If they are built specifically for the car, the supercharger will be easier to install since you don't need to work with the exhaust side of the motor.

Go to Amazon.com and buy Maximum Boost, and Supercharged! by Corkey Bell. They both have a wealth of information that will help you in your project.

As I know of now, there isn't a kit for the V6 engine that utilizes either a turbocharger or a supercharger. One thing you want to do is learn as much as you can about your engine before delving into a project of this size. There is a lot of information on this board. There is a search function on the top right of the window. Search there, and also search on www.google.com for turbocharging.

Also, you need to have a power goal before you start a project like this. "High Boost" isn't a goal because you can have high boost and high horsepower, or high boost and low horsepower depending on the setup and tuning. The GS (v6) version of the MX3 comes stock with 130HP. If you just want a little more power to run around town, I would suggest an engine swap. There are 3 different engines that will swap easily into the MX3 GS. We have the KL03, KFZE, and KLZE. The KL03 (also known as the KLDE or KL) is the US version of the 2.5L K series engine. It comes stock with 160HP and 160TQ. It will drop right in the engine bay of the MX3 only utilizing a few of the stock parts. This engine comes in the USDM Ford Probe GT, Mazda 626, Mazda MX6, and Mazda Millenia. The KFZE is a 2.0L version of the K series engine that is found in Japan. It comes stock with 170HP. From what I hear, it requires a little work to get into the MX3, but doable. The KLZE is the engine of choice for most MX3 GS owners because it comes stock with 200HP and 195TQ. It also is found in Japan and is a 2.5L version of the K series Mazda engine. This is found in the Japanese versions of the Mazda 626, MX6, and Millenia. All 3 engines will give you a little more power and are more reliable than an untuned turbo setup.

Do some research and look around and you will eventually gain the knowledge you need. If you have anymore questions feel free to post them and we'll get to you as soon as we can. Don't mind the jerks on the board, they think they know everything and that you should too. Take it easy man, and good luck.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “Forced Induction”