few questions before i begin

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
goldsberry1

few questions before i begin

Post by goldsberry1 »

hello, as some of you might remember i am visiting japan for 6 months. i am compiling parts to add forced induction for my gsr. i found that i can get forged rods for $177 (usd) each. should i go with this or should i peen or heat treat my stock ones.
then for the heads. sould i polish the ze heads or just leave them stock?
the intercooler. i am planning to put the turbo where the battery is, and i am wanting to run a fmic. the only problem is the both the tubo and the throttle body is on the same side. that mans i would either have to run a pipe up and around to the manifold or get a fmic that has both the in and out on the same side. such as the old ford probe's. would that intercooler be big enough?
ok the last question. if i do get the forged/peened rods would new stock pistons hold up to decent boost #'s?
sorry its so long, and thanks for any input.
jason
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: few questions before i begin

Post by PATDIESEL »

Well ,I hope someone knows. I would like to know myself. FYI I think that the forged pistons would be better. They should hold up to more pressure.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

i forgot a question, sorry. when running boost, how does the power brakes work? dont they run on a vacum. i know it may be a stupid question, but i was wanting to know, just to understand.thanks
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

hopefully you wont be boosting and braking at the same time :confused2:
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Originally posted by goldy1:
hello, as some of you might remember i am visiting japan for 6 months. i am compiling parts to add forced induction for my gsr. i found that i can get forged rods for $177 (usd) each. should i go with this or should i peen or heat treat my stock ones.
then for the heads. sould i polish the ze heads or just leave them stock?
the intercooler. i am planning to put the turbo where the battery is, and i am wanting to run a fmic. the only problem is the both the tubo and the throttle body is on the same side. that mans i would either have to run a pipe up and around to the manifold or get a fmic that has both the in and out on the same side. such as the old ford probe's. would that intercooler be big enough?
ok the last question. if i do get the forged/peened rods would new stock pistons hold up to decent boost #'s?
sorry its so long, and thanks for any input.
jason
I would go ahead with the new rods. The stock rods are supposedly pretty thin, although I have never seen them before. What rods can you get for $177? Eagle sells H-Beam rods in sets for about $100 each. I have put in a request for a KL V6. A port and polish will always be a good mod, but not required. I don't see why a probe's FMIC wouldn't work. If you're gunna go with stock pistons, might as well go with aftermarkets. IIRC the stock pistons for a ZE go for around $500. You can get Ross Pistons for $470 for the Probe GT. This will give you a strong piston, and also lower compression. The lower CR will help give a higher margin of error when tuning your turbo engine. I have a few questions for you now.

1. What turbo are you planning on using? What AR?
2. How much boost do you want to run?
3. How much power do you want to get?

If you answer these questions, we can help you a lot easier. Take care and good luck man.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

ok, i havent picked out a turbo yet, i am going to use a turbo from a junkyard from here in japan. everything here is turbo so i wont have much trouble picking one out. as for the "ar". i am not sure what that is. for the boost #'s i was wanting to run around 1 bar plus or minus some. and for the power output, i a m hopeing for the same as every one else that has done this setup, alot :) . but i want to do it safely and have a reliable motor too.
why is it that a 2.5 liter staight 6, (a friends skline) can put out over 700 hp, easily (running a t-88 single turbo and around 25 psi), but ours are lucky to put out 293hp. i plan to post some pictures of some of the cars i see here in japan when i can. there are lots of nice rx-7's, skylines, sylivia's, 300zx's, and 1 cosmos
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

hello again, i have found a ct-26 out of a soarer in a junk yard here. is this a decent turbo for our engines? i think it should be considering the the soarer is around the same displacement. i am hopeing to get around 14 to 15 psi from it. there are alot of klze engines around there too. so i wont have trouble finding a set of low mileage heads. i think they will sell them for pretty cheap too. any input? thanks
jason
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Well man, 'alot' isn't really a good power goal to set. You should shoot for a certain number, then when you reach that, you can decide to go further, ot stay there.

The CT-26 turbo is also the same charger on the Supra TT and the MR2 turbo.

If you don't know what an A/R is then you are not really ready to start a custom turbo system. I'd go buy Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. That would help you learn a lot of what you need to know. Good luck, and definatly keep us posted on your project.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “Forced Induction”