Attn: All sohc turbo owners!

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Curtis

Attn: All sohc turbo owners!

Post by Curtis »

Hey guys i just bought a 93' sohc, and i was wondering what i need to do, or change to have a turbo?? is it safe?, problems?,also will the stock 5 speed tranny hold up? anything would help! Also, if you could tell me what turbo's you are using, and how much you spent all together. i really want to turbo my sohc. i would appreciate any help....
VizualXTC

Re: Attn: All sohc turbo owners!

Post by VizualXTC »

there are a few people on here that have turbo's on their 4cyl MX-3's. Most of them (to my recollection) are DOHC's but the basic rules are the same. <p>The "changes" that you need to make to have a turbo depend on the power you want to produce. If you have a big power goal, you will want new pistons, rods, fuel system, and most likely a stand alone computer or some sort of ignition control. For low power goals, all you'd need to change is fuel delivery.<p>The turbo of choice would be a t28 or a t3 would would fine. There is a lot of information on the board about turbocharging. If you want to learn more just search the site (icon in the upper tight of the screen) or you can buy the book Maximum Boost by Corkey Bell. Excellent book. Anymore questions, just ask. Good luck.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

hey thanks for your help... but how much would a t28 or t3 turbo push?.. i really new to turbo's dont have much knowledge about them. can a stock tranny hold up on it? or i would like to know about how much horsepower are the sohc's pushin with turbo? again thanks!
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

to tell you the truth i dont know of anyone with a sohc turbo that posts on a regular basis, or anytime recently. Its alot of un charted terratory, and not alot of questions can be answered about how much power etc..I am in the midst of buying a 1.8 dohc engine, and I can tell you that the tranny wont hold if you ride it to hard. Your gonna need a new clutch atleast, and possibly upgrade the the protege lx tranny, which is known to hold up a little more. Im staying with my sohc tranny until it dies because i dont ride my car very hard
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

hotsiit has one, i installed it for him.. any questions you have just ask.. he has the t3 super 60, a huge fmic, injectors, pump, the works. also did a atx to mtx swap for him. it boosts very quickly and he has it at 5psi right now. i think hes getting a boost controller and turbo timer shortly.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

hey...yeah, i have the stock SOHC 1.6l 4cyl turbocharged now. Its at 5psi and the boost comes on quick like boosted said, i get about full boost (5psi) at around 2,500 rpm's. The turbo and MTX swap makes the car much, much more enjoyable to drive :D ...although recently, im not building any boost in 1st gear, 2nd gear only gets about 1psi, and then 3rd gear boosts up to 5psi, but if i stay on it, at around 4,000rpms the boost drops back down to none, the same also happens in 4th and 5th. Ill check the intercooler pipes soon. Any other ideas jaime? Ok, sorry for my long post
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

sounds like it could be a problem with the internal gate. push-rod or possibly the spring is shot. i'd check that out.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

to be gear and speed sensitive i would say its an intercooler pipe. possibly pushing the fmic back into position where the pipe wont leak. usually with a wastegate problem it doesnt matter what speed you are going, and it definatley isnt gear sensitive. look into it a little more and tell me what you find.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
niskyspy

Post by niskyspy »

Yea Yea I want a turbo for my 4 cil.
And I know that I need to do upgrade for injectors and Fuel Rail. But what should I buy, I mean what kind of :injectors, fuel rail, Fuel pump, and were can I buy them.<p>And one more question how did u ppl did all the pipe from Turbo to the Air Intake manifold?
And if any of u used intercooler were did u buy it and how did u get it to work???
And one more, how did u connect oil or water cooling system to the turbo.<p>I am sorry for this huge reply but please answer cuz I need answers.<p>Thanks...
I like cars and girls!!!<BR>Thats what life is.
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

hey, my internet account got messed up and ive been busy with summer classes, but after looking at my car and driving it around alot, i can get boost (full 5psi boost) in every gear except first still. All the intercooler piping looks fine, and it runs fine, no problems just cant seem to get boost in first? :D ...still poor and saving for an turbo timer and boost controller....ay inputs?, im thinking of the turbo XS dual stage boost controller...can set 2 boost levels and swithc between them, like daily driving and full out race/FUN mode :D .,....ok, talk to u all later
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

hey chris, how much was your whole 4cyl sohc turbo setup cost you?..how long did it take in the shop? how much HP do you have now with the turbo? damn i want one! if your willing to tell me, i would greatly appreciate it..i saw your pics of your engine, and i like the way you have it set up. any info would help thanks!

Return to “Forced Induction”