turbo plumbing

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
ikedasquid

turbo plumbing

Post by ikedasquid »

few q's...<p>1) if the direction of coolant flow matters in the vj-20, which line is the coolant in? is it the line closest to engine or the one closest to the radiator? these lines were cut before i received the engine from cs.<p>2) earlier some said that the line near the bottom of the engine on the tranny side is oil feed for the turbo? is this correct, i would have figured it was drain so gravity could feed oil back to the pan, as the oil pump is on the other side of the engine (belt side). so i'll put it this way, where is the oil feed and where is the drain???<p>3) lastly, when you guys started your BPT's for the first time (if you did the swap yourself) did you (must you?) first pressureize the whole lubrication system to prevent "dry starts"? sounds important but i've swapped engines before (2 vw bugs) and never did this, (just filled with oil and cranked) and never had a problem (but vw bug engines are forgiving).
jaydog5678

Re: turbo plumbing

Post by jaydog5678 »

On the turbo, the coolant IN line would be facing the block, not torwards the radiator.<p>The oil pan is the location for the turbo drain. The feed line is on the block.<p>There's no need to pressurize the oil system. It's just like changing the oil on any other engine. Just fill it up and start it normally.
ikedasquid

Re: turbo plumbing

Post by ikedasquid »

well, neither of the turbo's coolant lines actually face the block, they both point toward the tranny, but one is closer. i will assume this is what you mean.<p>also, where on the block is the oil feed?, i don't see a drain on the pan either, but there is one really close to the pan (about 1 inch up) next to where the tranny mounts. there is also a hole where i had assumed a bolt for something (dont know what...) went but it just occured to me that it could be npt fittings for a oil feed line (why would they remove this???) it's about 1/2 inch above what i think is the drain.

Return to “Forced Induction”