Fuel Cut...What is it and do I have it?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mazda20

Fuel Cut...What is it and do I have it?

Post by mazda20 »

Okay this is kinda a continuation problem from the Apexi S-AFC Thread, but each problem should deserve its own spot.<P>Okay to bring everyone up to speed, I got the idle problem straightened out (BOV was bad). Now I think I am having a fuel cut problem, because whenever I begin to accelerate hard and I start to carry boost the engine just dies I get no response when I push the accelerator, I have to disengage the clutch and sometimes shift to a higher gear. Is this fixable and what is it?
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
maldo

Re: Fuel Cut...What is it and do I have it?

Post by maldo »

Doesn't sound like fuel cut - that would hit hard and abrupt. Is it stuttering at all? Has the check engine light come on when this happens? The parameters that you have set on the S-AFC could be too extreme for the ecu and it may not be able to compensate for the adjustment.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Well this is hard and abrupt, I might be in first gear and begin to accelerate and all of a sudden I feel my head about to go through the front window. I have no LEDs on my Air/Fuel Gauge and no response from the car.<P>What I am going to try is disconnect the AFC and reset the ECU and run the car off the ecu, because before I had the AFC in I did not have this problem, but I was hoping someone new these types of symptoms for this problem.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i am having the same problem...my mechanic thinks its the ecu is bad......<BR>maybe you should switch your ecu to a protege or 323gtx ecu...<P><BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

I don't believe that either of those will work with the 94 MX-3 ECU harness correct me if I am wrong.
My MX-3 Website
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i thought that it would work.......is there a difference between sohc and dohc wiring harness<P>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the harness clip on the dohc will not fit the sohc and/or protege ecu.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

It doesn't really matter because I don't believe my ecu is gone anyways. This was all started as soon as I installed the AFC.<P>Does anyone know if this problem is fuel cut or not?
My MX-3 Website
Swego

Post by Swego »

Just wild guessing here but maybe the stock ignition has difficulty providing fire if there is too much fuel/air into the chamber. Maybe you can try an aftermarket ignition kit?
maldo

Post by maldo »

Just a thought from the previous reply. I remember my motor bucking slightly, almost a hesitation, but not hitting to terribly hard. Check your plugs, they could just be fouled a little from too much fuel. I am not sure of your current setup but if you were running something similar to what I had - B6T, pro lx ecu, b6t injectors no S-AFC- prior to the install of the S-AFC it could be the culprit.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Maldo, your right it was the S-AFC piece of crap, I hooked it up according to Apexi and my mechanic here, what was happening was my MAF sensor was sending the correct voltage but for some reason it was coming out messed up from the AFC. I pulled it out after w had already checked the ECU, Timing, Fuel Pressure, Injectors, Plugs, and even the MAF.<P>So my thought is maybe these don't quite work right with a 94+ Hotwire DOHC B6E MX-3. I will call Apexi about it, but needless to say this is not going in my car if thats how it is going to work.
My MX-3 Website
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kick @#$ Mazda:<BR><STRONG>Maldo, your right it was the S-AFC piece of crap, I hooked it up according to Apexi and my mechanic here, what was happening was my MAF sensor was sending the correct voltage but for some reason it was coming out messed up from the AFC. I pulled it out after w had already checked the ECU, Timing, Fuel Pressure, Injectors, Plugs, and even the MAF.<P>So my thought is maybe these don't quite work right with a 94+ Hotwire DOHC B6E MX-3. I will call Apexi about it, but needless to say this is not going in my car if thats how it is going to work.</STRONG><BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>What HW setting did you finally end up using? My car gets a wierd a-- idle when i hook up my afc. Usin hw11
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

Return to “Forced Induction”