twin turbo for probe..?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
antwawn

twin turbo for probe..?

Post by antwawn »

one day awile back i saw a twin turbo setup for the probe gt...if u swap for the 2.5 probe engine in the mX-3, will the set up fit under the hood space of an mx-3....i have the sheet metal side thingys already removed and i have no windshield water resivoir...just wondering if anybody tryed before
VizualXTC

Re: twin turbo for probe..?

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by antwawn:<BR><STRONG>one day awile back i saw a twin turbo setup for the probe gt...if u swap for the 2.5 probe engine in the mX-3, will the set up fit under the hood space of an mx-3....i have the sheet metal side thingys already removed and i have no windshield water resivoir...just wondering if anybody tryed before</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It will be VERY hard to fit it and VERY inefficient, and even more unpractical. Check the post about the TT MX-3 in this forum. It has been talked about.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
antwawn

Post by antwawn »

thanx
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

hey man check out <A HREF="http://www.a-spec.ca" TARGET=_blank>www.a-spec.ca</A> they have a 2.5 kl-03 twin turbo 323 gt
Steve
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>It will be VERY hard to fit it and VERY inefficient, and even more unpractical. Check the post about the TT MX-3 in this forum. It has been talked about.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It would actually be MORE efficent. You lose too much heat from the manifolds you'd have to build to run a more efficient single turbo. <P>Just dont try to do a sequential setup. You want them acting in parallel, like how a twin turbo V8 turbo system works.<P>From reading the thread you suggested, you seem to know little about setups that work.<BR> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
TopGun

Post by TopGun »

Man you internet mechanics just like the sound of "twin turbo" ... sheesh.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P>It would actually be MORE efficent. You lose too much heat from the manifolds you'd have to build to run a more efficient single turbo. <P>Just dont try to do a sequential setup. You want them acting in parallel, like how a twin turbo V8 turbo system works.<P>From reading the thread you suggested, you seem to know little about setups that work.<BR> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Speed Kills - Drive a honda, live forever...
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P>It would actually be MORE efficent. You lose too much heat from the manifolds you'd have to build to run a more efficient single turbo. <P>Just dont try to do a sequential setup. You want them acting in parallel, like how a twin turbo V8 turbo system works.<P>From reading the thread you suggested, you seem to know little about setups that work.<BR> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Um...a--hole, I was talkin about the sequencial setup. I'd love to see what turbo's you're suggesting to get the parallel setup.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

Protege usually knows what hes talking about before he blurts it out [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by quinn_seipp:<BR><STRONG>Protege usually knows what hes talking about before he blurts it out [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Don't believe I disagreed. I just want to see what turbo's he thinks will fit in the engine bay with a parallel setup. Anyone that has opened the hood on a GS knows that there is very little room to do a single turbo setup, let alone a twin. Plus the larger 2.5L engine will make that usable space a little smaller.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Two IHI VJ series should do fine. Maybe VJ14 or so. The 2.5L takes up exactly 0.000% more space than the 1.8L as far as turbos are concerned. Twin turbos mounted close to the head have much better thermal retention than a large single turbo on a transverse mounted V engine. The fastest Supra guy last time I checked was Vinny Ten, and he went from a big single to two TSO4 Holsetts [also from his 6spd manual to a 2spd powerglide slushbox] [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Thought of some other good turbos for TT. Toyota CT12/CT16, Mitsu TD04 9B, Garrett T3 35 trim...
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

the guys at a-spec totally stacked their motor to to hold all the psi form 2 turbo's....and I've saw a kl-ze in a mx and it was so tight looking it would be very hard to route all the piping for intercooler and what not...it would be pretty cool though
Steve
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

well, David has already given you youre answer. You would basically want the stock oem turbos from the various V6 TT cars in production. Supra turbos, or 3000GT turbos would work just fine and be sized basically where you needed them.<P>This is something that David came up with, not myself, but we've talked about it a few times. We possibly even had a set of turbos from a MkIV supra before they pounded the crap out of them with a sledge hammer (long story)
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG>well, David has already given you youre answer. You would basically want the stock oem turbos from the various V6 TT cars in production. Supra turbos, or 3000GT turbos would work just fine and be sized basically where you needed them.<P>This is something that David came up with, not myself, but we've talked about it a few times. We possibly even had a set of turbos from a MkIV supra before they pounded the crap out of them with a sledge hammer (long story)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would love to see a twin turbo MX-3. That would be awsome. I have been told that there wasn't enuff room in the engine bay to get a twin turbo saetup in there. Oh well, my sources were wrong. Are there any TT 1.8L or 2.5L MX-3's? That would be way kewl tho.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

nobody to MY knowledge has done it...but like anything else, it CAN be done. We recently had the first 1.6L 3rd gen Protege turbo come to light with some nice pictures and such. Someone will eventually build one.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “Forced Induction”