twin turbo mx3

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
skyblue

twin turbo mx3

Post by skyblue »

i was wondering if somebody could tell me the best way to run the piping for a twin tubo setup in my mx3. i am using 2 t3 turbos. are these turos good enough and a good size or should i use bigger or smaller.<BR>thanks for the help dudes!!<P>skyblue
klze, custome supercharger setup, powerdyne BD 10 charger, holly fuel pump, full stand alone fuel managment (SDS) MSD ignition with blaster coil and much more..
VizualXTC

Re: twin turbo mx3

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by skyblue:<BR><STRONG>i was wondering if somebody could tell me the best way to run the piping for a twin tubo setup in my mx3. i am using 2 t3 turbos. are these turos good enough and a good size or should i use bigger or smaller.<BR>thanks for the help dudes!!<P>skyblue</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ok dood, your best bet would be to go to your local book store and pick up "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.<BR>I assume you are talkin about a GS model MX3. The T3 turbo in sequence will either destroy your engine or be un-reasonable. First off, there is really no reason you need a twin turbo setup on the mx-3. The main reasons for the TT setup is so that you can create BIG boost with minimal lag (turbo spool time). The way a sequensial turbo system is setup is: Turbo #1 is hooked up into the exhaust flow to turn the turbine. Turbo #2 is hooked up in the path of Turbo #1. Usually you would use a small turbo that spools quickly to spool the larger turbo that spools slowly. Our cars (GS) can only handle aprox. 8 psi with good tuning. There is no reason to put a TT setup on our cars. It would be more realistic and less expensive to go with a single T3 turbo. <BR>Go buy that book, it will really help you out. Good luck
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

i have a 2.5 v6 and i have the opertunity to make a tt for my mx3. for some reason i cant get onto knight turbos page, he has the answers but it keeps kicking me out...strange. the way i see it dude, if i have 2 banks and six pistons, why not use all of them instead of just half. it makes sense to me to use all of them for better performance, or so i am told. do you agree? i was going to use 1 T3T4 and put it where the batery goes(using both banks of course). but i found out during research that this creats too much lag because the air has to travel to far to the turbos. again to you agree or is this not true? i also think it would be sick to have a twin turbo mx3!!!<BR>ryan<BR>skyblue
klze, custome supercharger setup, powerdyne BD 10 charger, holly fuel pump, full stand alone fuel managment (SDS) MSD ignition with blaster coil and much more..
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

ok first thing you need to do is decide is if you're doin it for the "cool" factor or whether or not you wanna improve the performance. then go buy the book (ryan should get a nickel for everytime he's said that). If you still feel the need for a sequential setup then be my guest. I just dont see the benefit of running two smaller turbos over one larger more efficient turbo.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
maldo

Post by maldo »

There is no benefit to the 2 turbos, ever wonder why all the RX-7 and Supra owners are trading their duals for larger single turbo versions? They work better. Be our guests and design the twin but it really is a waste of your time. Mazda already designed a twin system for the KL motor a few years back with the Capella MPS project. Stay away from Knight turbos, the quality of his workmanship is on par for a high school welding class. Do a search for TKT on this site or ProbeTalk.com and see what others have to say.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

if i put a single turbo setup, should i run it off of one bank or should i run it off of both banks and put the turbo where the batery would go and put the batery in the trunk?<P>skyblue
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

utilize everything you have....use both banks.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

i hear stories about too much lag this way. if i go this route i would use a t3t4. would this be to big and spool up really late? i want it more for the street. or would a t3 be a good size that can eventually handle a lot of boost? i just want to do the best thing and the most promising for the car. <BR>thanks a bunch man<P>skyblue
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

of the top of my head the t3 is the choice among various v6ers
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

My tip to you is that you give me one of the T3's and learn the passion of sharing, thanks :D
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

i was wondering the same thing once i get my motor but was looking into using the twin turbos off of a 3000gt vr-4, there small but spool really quick. all just ideas at this point<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
mx3gsr

Post by mx3gsr »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buff1110:<BR><STRONG>i was wondering the same thing once i get my motor but was looking into using the twin turbos off of a 3000gt vr-4, there small but spool really quick. all just ideas at this point<BR>Dan</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not to shoot down peoples good intentions, but anyone considering a twin turbo installation on an MX-3 needs to stop bench racing and actually spend a few hours on your back underneith your car. There is barely enough room for you to get your hands up to the rear manifold, let alone enough space to fit a second turbo back there. <P>The V6 MX-3 engine bay just isn't practical for a twin turbo setup, and as other have pointed out there is no need for it anyways since one turbo will be more than enough to pull the car to the point of having no traction anyways.
1992 MX-3 GS-R 2.5L Turbo - retired 2001 :(
13.8@107mph
Eddie N

Post by Eddie N »

i think it would be a fun project for someone in the know to embark on..<P>i wouldnt go with the 3000gt turbos.. too expensive, and overkill since you can only boost to around 8 psi (3000gt turbos max out at about 15psi).. i would go with the much more plentiful and cheaper dsm turbos.. <P>how much horsepower does the v6 engine make? the next issue would be traction.. those small tires on the front of the mx3 cant put much power to the ground.. <P>and what about fuel requirements? can the mx3 fuel system handle the extra fuel requirements of a turbo car with out upgrading the injectors and fuel pump? what about the ECU? <P>the mx3 is a pretty light car, so you only need around 300 fwhp to go respectably fast, although it might only be from a roll :).. the only thing that scares me is the thought of having to rebuild the entire engine to boost over 8psi..<P>- eddie -
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by skyblue:<BR><STRONG>i have a 2.5 v6 and i have the opertunity to make a tt for my mx3. for some reason i cant get onto knight turbos page, he has the answers but it keeps kicking me out...strange. the way i see it dude, if i have 2 banks and six pistons, why not use all of them instead of just half. it makes sense to me to use all of them for better performance, or so i am told. do you agree? i was going to use 1 T3T4 and put it where the batery goes(using both banks of course). but i found out during research that this creats too much lag because the air has to travel to far to the turbos. again to you agree or is this not true? i also think it would be sick to have a twin turbo mx3!!!<BR>ryan<BR>skyblue</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ok man, think of it this way. If you run it off one bank you are only running .9 liters worth of power to the turbo. You really gotta trust us. A twin turbo will be pointless. Figure on most sequencial setups they NEVER use two of the same turbos becuz it is useless. Only one turbo supplies the boost and it would actually take longer to spool 2 of the same size turbos than spooling just one. Also with the t3/t04 turbo, this is pointless as well. The t3 will be perfect for the 2.5L engine. Just put the T3 where the battery is and run custom piping over to it. Voila! You got a faster car. Make sure that you take it to a reputible tuner or yur car will be fucked. You can ususally get turbo's reletively cheap from a junk yard. I know I can get a t3 for $50. You'll also need a rising rate regulator, upgraded fuel pump, injectors and a high flow fuel rail would be suggestable. DO NOT get a boost controller. This will only urge you to mess with it until explosion. If you do end up getting one, have a professional put it on and NEVER touch it again.<P>And yes shaun, I should get a nickel. I'd be a rich fella by now :) I just hate to see people make mistakes that will kill their engines. No reason to waste money like that. I mean if yur just throwin it away, throw it my way.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “Forced Induction”