Largest Nitrous shot?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
boostedmx

Re: Largest Nitrous shot?

Post by boostedmx »

with the proper tuning you could base the car around nitrous. with a progressive controller and some testing i would throw a 150-200 hp shot to it. this is alot of nitrous, and it sounds rediculous but these bottom ends are strong and have boosted to 400 hp with stock internals. stop it from hitting so hard and youll be fine. i'd imagine this would also take away some engine life. its all about what you want and can afford :D
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

ya right.... stock internals 400 hp.......these motors have 88 hp that's more then 4 times the stock hp....anyway I'd say a 50-65 shot on a healthy motor that has fuel and ignition for it......even then these motors are stressed
Steve
maldo

Post by maldo »

So you are saying that a car with 88hp is built extremely weak? That seems funny to me. Rick Stevens M1 Miata boosted to over 400whp with stock internals. FSZE motors are capable of 500hp with the stock internals. Supra motors are capable of over 800hp with stock internals. Sentra's equiped with the SR20 motor can handle 500hp without replacing the stock internals. Need I say more?<P>Motors are over-engineered. Just cause they don't have the high output doesn't mean that they aren't capable. The only motor that really isn't capable is anything that Honda puts out - stock internals can only handle around 250-300hp before needing replacing. <P>Take the B6T for instance, 18psi before you even need to think about changing to a metal head gasket. You don't even have to think about the pistons/rods/crank for quite some time.
MX-3 Extreme

Post by MX-3 Extreme »

I have to totally agree with Maldo because I am running a 85 shot of nitrous with a bunch of mods like external fuel system and msd with external coil and 2.25 apex-i exhaust and msd window switch for the nitrous and plenty of more little mods..but I am still running stock internals for now and dont have a problem with running nitrous allday long.<P>Killermx3<p>[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: KillerMX3 ]
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Granted how strong is the DOHC block for the 4cyl.. i am just curious if any of you know. =]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

the dohc block is the same bottom end as the b6t, they are very over engineered with oil cooled pistons and web stiffened blocks. tuning is the key with small dispacement engines to get the most you can out of them. i had to change the jets in my fogger kit 3 times before i could get the 125 shot to work well with it. people said i was cazy but i drove it and i raced it. SOHC 1.6L
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

the stock pistons on a SOHC MX3 cannot hold a 150 Dry shot of NOS or could not handle more then 8 psi at most......I can't believe that you people think this.....it is physically impossible for a motor with 9:1 compression to handle more than 13 psi without detonation I'm sure the bottom ends ie crank might be able to but not the rods or pistons....the pistons would have to be forged with a 8.1:1 ratio and the rods aftermarket.....400 HP that would take 35 PSI in that 88 hp SOHC motor....oh ya Hondas don't make strong motors this is the funniest thing I have ever heard....just cause this site is a MX 3 site does not mean that you can go around bashing honda motors when you have no basis (that was the most general and uneducated statement I have ever heard)....ya the Type r motor need I say more about Hp's and strength......yes the DOHC motor for the MX 3 is strong but it cannot handle more than 7 PSI stock....stock internals are not designed to handle 4 times the Hp's (SOHC) Remember that this topic is on the SOHC Mx 3 motor nothing more nothing less
Steve
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

there is a hyundai 1.5l in a past scc that is 596 hp running 60psi boost with a 100 shot-- with stock bottom end and vave train. these limits that you speak of are outdated.tuning is everything :roll: :roll: :roll:
maldo

Post by maldo »

You must be right man, I am full of s---. Funny how I am the guy who seems to have done my research. Honda's use a floating deck design, the only benefit this allows is the small radiators that they use. Maybe you didn't know that Honda motors run backwards from the general convention. Did you know that if you break a timing belt on a Honda motor you may as well buy a new motor or dish out the cost for a rebuild since you pistons just went crashing into your valves? Sure they can make power, they do so quite well in stock trim. Check out their CR, the basic design can't handle much power without being upgraded. Ever wonder why block guards and sleeves have been engineered for Honda motors? It isn't cause they didn't need them.<P>9:1 CR is turbo friendly. Rick Stephens Miata was running 9.3:1 with near 30psi of boost. I have non-forged stock B6T pistons and run 16psi all day long, granted I have 7.9:1 CR but your logic would mean that I would need forged pistons. There are plenty of SOHC motors producing lots of power. Lets think here for a second, since you think you did your homework, did you know that the SOHC is the same crank that is used in the M1 Miata? same as the B6T? same as the B6ZE? Did you know that Mazda uses many of the same parts in there motor lines, like pistons? The biggest difference between any of the B-series Mazda motors lies in the Head. Other than that they are virtually identical.<P>It all comes down to tuning. Detonation is controlled by proper fuel and ignition timing. Do your homework, get educated, then reply with useful info.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>So you are saying that a car with 88hp is built extremely weak? That seems funny to me. Rick Stevens M1 Miata boosted to over 400whp with stock internals. FSZE motors are capable of 500hp with the stock internals. Supra motors are capable of over 800hp with stock internals. Sentra's equiped with the SR20 motor can handle 500hp without replacing the stock internals. Need I say more?<P>Motors are over-engineered. Just cause they don't have the high output doesn't mean that they aren't capable. The only motor that really isn't capable is anything that Honda puts out - stock internals can only handle around 250-300hp before needing replacing. <P>Take the B6T for instance, 18psi before you even need to think about changing to a metal head gasket. You don't even have to think about the pistons/rods/crank for quite some time.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>FS-ZE with stock internals can take 500hp? That one i will NOT believe. You have some proof of that one?
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stevech_2001:<BR><STRONG>the stock pistons on a SOHC MX3 cannot hold a 150 Dry shot of NOS or could not handle more then 8 psi at most......I can't believe that you people think this.....it is physically impossible for a motor with 9:1 compression to handle more than 13 psi without detonation I'm sure the bottom ends ie crank might be able to but not the rods or pistons....the pistons would have to be forged with a 8.1:1 ratio and the rods aftermarket.....400 HP that would take 35 PSI in that 88 hp SOHC motor....oh ya Hondas don't make strong motors this is the funniest thing I have ever heard....just cause this site is a MX 3 site does not mean that you can go around bashing honda motors when you have no basis (that was the most general and uneducated statement I have ever heard)....ya the Type r motor need I say more about Hp's and strength......yes the DOHC motor for the MX 3 is strong but it cannot handle more than 7 PSI stock....stock internals are not designed to handle 4 times the Hp's (SOHC) Remember that this topic is on the SOHC Mx 3 motor nothing more nothing less</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>You need to do more reasearch. Endyn is running 12:1 compression ratios with 20-25 lbs of boost on BIG turbos for their race motors. The M1 "monster miata" was running 26lbs off stock 9:1 compression pistons on his BP when he finally spun a bearing because he over-revved it by accident. You need to do some research, because youre uneduated.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

hey buddy we are not talking about race motors...second 12:1 compression eh your dreaming buddy....top fuel dragsters use flat top pistons not domed pistons meant for race gas on N/A motors....but anyway enough with the arguing because we are talking about a stock motor here man not race motors and not miata motors.....we are talking about the SOHC mx3 motor is this so hard to understand the 1.6 SOHC 88 hp motor that people think can handle 150-200 "DRY" shot of nitrous no stock SOHC fuel sytem could compensate that much even with some mods to it.....you don't make hp's on boost with high compression you make it with low compression....either way this motor was a "race motor" not a 88 hp stock motor...ya if they were "over engineered" they would not make 88 hp....the "Block" might be strong but not the spindly rods and cast pistons....cast pistons don't like boost...and another thing "protege" it was stated above that the motor could be boosted to 400 hp on stock pistons and rods that is over 4 times the stock output that would take over 60 psi maybe more you seem to know alot why do you believe this......I want to see you uneducated people go out and put that 200 "dry" shot of NOS in your car with 300,000 km's and see what happens (instant gernade) you people should not be allowed to handle highly explosive material so carelessly, I am not posting under this topic again nor should anyone else cause this dosen't even deserve a response on my behalf or anyone else's
Steve
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

i did it with 125. this was my first nitrous install--i think someone with more nos experience and tuning capabilities could get a 150 hp shot to work easily. the trick is getting it to come on slowly. a progressive nitrous controller will do the trick. and your right these are not race engines and were not designed to be ---thats why were talking about 250-300hp not 5000 :roll:

Return to “Forced Induction”