1.8 Turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Jayrykes84

1.8 Turbo

Post by Jayrykes84 »

If I decide to turbo my little v6.... do I have to buy a new turbo from greddy or HKS or can I get one off a wrecked turbocharged car or something? If the latter is possible... what kind of vehicle would have a turbo that might be easy to fit onto my MX?<BR>Im not looking to make my car a dyno monster, just looking to make an extra 50-70 horsepower... .and no I dont want to do an engine swap I have my reasons... thanks in advance!
boostedmx

Re: 1.8 Turbo

Post by boostedmx »

you could get a used turbo off ebay?? the best turbo for your setup and goals would be either a used eclipse turbo or a common t3 turbo. personally i would go with the t3 because you can find weld on flanges for a custom header design and rebuild kits are dirt cheap and plentiful.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

what else would i need to put in turbo/supercharger from eclipse into 1.8L V6
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

turbo manifold and plumbing, relocate the battery. If you plan on running more than 5PSI, bottom end work to your block. Good luck
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Jayrykes84

Post by Jayrykes84 »

how many HP do you get per lbs of boost you run?<P>also, if I get a turbo from an eclipse, and all the plumbing,manifolds that come with it etc.. how much work am I looking at to get it to bolt onto my 1.8L? I have all the equipment I need in my garage, I just dont want to spend two weeks fiddling with it to make it work<p>[ February 24, 2002: Message edited by: John Rykes ]
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

any turbo kit will take a lot of fabrication, welding, and patience. nothing is going to fall in place. if you have the tools to make it happen it still will take some time to finish, maybe a couple weeks if not more. it is alot of hard work because everything has to be made for it. i would expect around 200hp to be safe. the engine will handle it just fine. it doesnt stop there though-- fuel and ignition have to be upgraded along with the exhaust system. like i said before though i would go with the t3 garett turbo
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
Esper

Post by Esper »

you will need to: fabricate a manifold basically from scratch; hook up the oil lines from your oil pan to the turbo; run piping to and from a front-mount intercooler; fabricate a pipe from the turbo to the rest of the exhaust; relacate battery to rear (just to make more space). plus all the fitting and testing and reworking of things under the engine bay to make it all fit. a garrett T3 would be a good choice for a turbo, and look around on ebay for an intercooler that would fit. 2 weeks would be pretty quick for a first-time turbo install unless you know EXACTLY how you're going to do everything. do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Croky Bell's Maximum Boost--its the bible on turbocharging. good luck!
Dude.

Return to “Forced Induction”