slappin on a turbo to my rs?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Shady469
Supporting Member

slappin on a turbo to my rs?

Post by Shady469 »

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bat_elof/mx.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/bat_elof/mx.html</A> <BR>this guy did it on his DOHC but i wanna know can i do it on my SOHC? i think i can find a kapri or 323 manifold but i don't know if it'll fit. also i dont plan on runnin more than like 5 or 6 psi<-- my block should be able to take that right?<BR>thanx in advance for any input/advice
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
bayoumx-3

Re: slappin on a turbo to my rs?

Post by bayoumx-3 »

I'd at least run 8psi 5 or 6 ain't s---
Live hard, drive fast, back down to no one.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shady469:<BR><STRONG><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bat_elof/mx.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/bat_elof/mx.html</A> <BR>this guy did it on his DOHC but i wanna know can i do it on my SOHC? i think i can find a kapri or 323 manifold but i don't know if it'll fit. also i dont plan on runnin more than like 5 or 6 psi<-- my block should be able to take that right?<BR>thanx in advance for any input/advice</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>you can run a turbo on pretty much any motor. You just can't put as much boost in some, as you can in others. I imagine that you could run at least 8-10PSI in your car, but I'd check with a professional first. 5-6 PSI would be great for running around town a little faster than normal (should give you around a 20-30HP at sea level) But if you are planning to race or show that silly civic that your car is better, then you'd want to run at least 8. BUT for the price of putting a turbo on your SOHC (88hp - ~110+/-HP w/turbo) you'd prolly be better off upgrading to a B6T ($799 - 132HP) or a BPT ($990 - 180HP) engine that already have a turbo setup, figuring the turbo setup for your B6 would run you at least $1500.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I'd put money on the B6-ME's block being good to 10+psi. Fuel delivery is key, as well as spark being important.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i got an e-mail from derrick @corksport....they sell a DOHC turbo exhaust manifols and told me to expect...170 hp.....i thinking about it.....because i dont want to cut my hood and also it has about the same mods u need with the b6t..<BR>apc/rx-7 maf, rx-7 fuel pump, bov, wastegate, custom intercooler....<P>also i need to tap my oil pan and get a turbo....<P>for the turbo i was thinking about getting a 323 turbo used and sending it to a shop to get modified
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

hey! im thinkin now about getting a miata turbo kit b/c there is a shop here that can modify the manifold to fit. im thinkin it would be more relaible that a 10 year old turbo. any thoughts?
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shady469:<BR><STRONG>hey! im thinkin now about getting a miata turbo kit b/c there is a shop here that can modify the manifold to fit. im thinkin it would be more relaible that a 10 year old turbo. any thoughts?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think you got the idea dood.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

a buddy with a CRX informed that an eclipse manifold is pretty easy to mod. and the turbos work really well (not to mention be cheaper than a new kit). <BR>Also, i found a GTX manifold +turbo w/ 91,000 miles: $400 with shipping. is that a good deal or what?2 more questions: if i were only gonna run a streetable boost level of like 7psi i shouldn't need to mess with my pistons right? and retarding the timing; when should this be done and to what extent?
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shady469:<BR><STRONG>a buddy with a CRX informed that an eclipse manifold is pretty easy to mod. and the turbos work really well (not to mention be cheaper than a new kit). <BR>Also, i found a GTX manifold +turbo w/ 91,000 miles: $400 with shipping. is that a good deal or what?2 more questions: if i were only gonna run a streetable boost level of like 7psi i shouldn't need to mess with my pistons right? and retarding the timing; when should this be done and to what extent?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, there is no reason to upgrade your pistons if you're only running 7PSI. As for the timing, I have no idea about that. I would buy the book "maximum boost" by corky bell. (I know <A HREF="http://www.booksamillion.com" TARGET=_blank>www.booksamillion.com</A> has it cheaper than anywhere I could find) It's supposed to be the "Turbo Bible". I have had peeps on this board, and also Sean Matthews of StreetImports.com have suggested it to me.<p>[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>Sean Matthews of StreetImports.com have suggested it to me.<P></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sean suggested it to me a couple of years back... :D
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG><P>Sean suggested it to me a couple of years back... :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And you are the one who initially suggested it to me :D
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage

Return to “Forced Induction”