Supercharger vs Turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Brainless

Supercharger vs Turbo

Post by Brainless »

Does one have an advantage over the other? I know they both work but if I had a choice to do between those two, what should I do?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
David Coleman

Re: Supercharger vs Turbo

Post by David Coleman »

David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brainless:<BR><STRONG>Does one have an advantage over the other? I know they both work but if I had a choice to do between those two, what should I do?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Superchargers offer immediate boost from the line, as turbochargers have lag (the time it takes for the turbine to spin fast enough to produce boost). This may seem a better bet, but turbos usually produce more boost, and retain it better (or so I've been told)
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
david103

Post by david103 »

superchargers are more reliable and relatively maintanance free, but turbo's are much more upgradable. <P>dave
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

turbo's are more efficient and superchargers actually have a higher temp intake charge per lbs of boost than a turbo.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Redline

Post by Redline »

supercharging has its limitations, itis powered by the engine it is giving power to. While turbocharging is "unlimited" where it is powered my exhuast, not by the engine itself.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by daverman:<BR><STRONG>superchargers are more reliable and relatively maintanance free, but turbo's are much more upgradable. <P>dave</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>superchargers arent really more reliable, just harder to tune correctly.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “Forced Induction”