Question for maldo or other............

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
bayoumx-3

Question for maldo or other............

Post by bayoumx-3 »

Hey I got a question for maldo or any other of you B6T swapers. Sorry to post it here but I can't get any response in the appearence section. What kind of hood scoops did you use and where exactly will it sit.Or where do you have to cut the hole in the hood.<P>I don't have the engine yet but it is supposed to be here by the 29th of this month. :)
Live hard, drive fast, back down to no one.
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Re: Question for maldo or other............

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

well i don't have a swap done, but i thought i heard that you can use the mx3's intake manifold(better/stronger) and you don't have to put a scoop on. it might not match. i can't quite remember everything said on the swaps, there is too much info out there.
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I have heard that the J spec intake was better than the mx. I am doin the swap in about two weeks and am having the same scoop prob. If I find a nice one I will let you know.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
bayoumx-3

Post by bayoumx-3 »

the best one i,ve seen so far is by parfeifer. it cost 79$ and 25$ for shipping. just don't know if it would look right sitting over to the side
Live hard, drive fast, back down to no one.
maldo

Post by maldo »

The Pakfeifer scoop is too narrow to fit. I used the FXdesigns scoop and it looks great and works well for cooling. I have a set of Cossie vents on either side to help with cooling issues. You wouldn't believe the heat that the motor puts out with the turbo. The scoop has to be positioned about 1-2" forward of the W/W squirters, center it from there. The biggest problem isn't the manifold, if that was all you had to worry about than you could in theory use the Pakfeifer scoop. The BAC valve(?) on the side of the throttle body cause the most problems. The nipples on the top of the manifold are in the way too.<P>The only way that you can use the MX-3 manifold is to use the MX-3 cylinder head. This will require pulling half the motor apart. It can be done but the MX-3 manifold doesn't have the long runners that work well with the turbo application. The Jspec manifold is better than the NA manifold but still requires the use of the scoop. You could use a miata manifold but ends up pointing to the shock tower on the passenger side. The MX-3 scoop isn't better or stronger. Currently there are 2 custom manifolds being researched, BLT in Cali and Larsen Motorsports in Denmark. Not sure on the designs of either but I know the Larsen products have been good quality.
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

If i may correct you maldo the mx-3 head does not work well with the b6t,is wrong. I pluged two holes on mx head and then ported the n/a head and it is sitting on the b6t block just fine with out having to take the motor apart or make any adjustments. If you look closely the port depending on the year are already bigger and if you pay to have both heads flowed before and after you will see the big difference in the cfm that you will flow between the two heads as I did.
maldo

Post by maldo »

I think there may be some confusion as to what I was posting about. <P>The MX-3 cylinder head will work and yes it has been shown to flow more. It is a bit of work to change heads, that is all that I was getting at. If I had the dohc, I would have done the swap that way. The MX-3 manifold would be great but the design is somewhat poor compared to the designs for the B6T. <P>By NA, I meant the North American B6T manifold. This is good but not quite the same as the jspec. Either way you still need a scoop. The factory manifolds from the MX-3 won't fit on the B6T head. This is the reasoning behind swapping to the MX-3 head, or partly. 007sniper, your info regarding #1 being affected by the unequal runners is very correct and one of the best reasons for sticking with the B6T manifold.<P>As far as the scoop goes, I took a look at mine more closely. I have about 2mm of clearance on top of the manifold, where the vaccum ports are. With the scoop centered, there is about 1cm of room on the side by the BAC valve(?).
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

Well I will say this my age old saying do the research before you comment and look into thing to find out the best for your situation my car should hit the dyno early next month shooting for a solid 350 hp which should be good for 12 at the track.

Return to “Forced Induction”