piping

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
OsoSlo z28

piping

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i'm thinking about going with 2.25" i/c piping and 3" exhaust piping and was wondering what others are using. also, how did you connect your i/c piping? with clamps or welded...or anything else.<P>also, how would you suggest mounting this? or would i need to get a different i/c? i'd like to use this one if i can though.<BR> Image<p>[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
maldo

Re: piping

Post by maldo »

I am using 2.25" i/c piping, the joints are welded together in some places and in others I used silicone hose and clamps. <P>For your i/c of choice I would get 2 90 degree silicone bends to attach to the end tanks. You have 2 options on running the piping depending on what motor you decide on. You can run both pipes through the sheetmetal on the driver's side. You need to remove the bumper to understand what I am talking about. Or you can run one through that side and one through the passenger side sheet metal. If you go this route you lose the windshield washer bottle.<P>You could get a smaller rad and run the pipes through the opening provided. Just make sure the smaller rad has the same or better cooling efficiency.<P>For exhaust right now I still have my old setup but am running 2.25" directly off the turbo. I another month or so I will have 3" directly off of the turbo. Don't settle for anything less than 2.5"
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i'm getting the bpt so i think the setup of one going on the drivers side and the other on the passenger side since the intake outlet on the turbo faces at a downward angle. i don't care if i lose the windshield washer bottle. my sprayers have been clogged for about 6 months and i haven't missed it yet. what would i use to mount the i/c? and as far as your exhaust setup..do you have a cat or is it a straight pipe? i don't have emissions so i'm thinkin of chucking the cat. i was thinking about getting a smaller radiator but i don't know of one that is smaller and still fit. i was told the 323 is smaller but it's too tall. any suggestions?<p>[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
maldo

Post by maldo »

My exhaust is sans cat, no emmissions here either. <P>The rad is a difficult thing. Either way you may need to fabricate new brackets to hold the smaller rad in. If I were to spend the money on a different sized rad, I would look at either Fluidyne or Koyo. The Integra and Eclipse sizes are near stock but may not allow you to pass pipes through. The other option is to use a smaller Civic sized rad. The Newer Protege rads might fit.
v6turbo323hatch

Post by v6turbo323hatch »

I'd be VERY careful abut switching to a smaller rad when going forced induction.<P>Not only does a front mount intercooler reduce airflow to a rad, forced induction also increases engine heat. By a lot.<P>I'd gte an upgraded rad unit. Custom fit one from Permacool or Flexalite.
maldo

Post by maldo »

You can reduce the size of the rad but you can't reduce the cooling efficiency of it. If you were to reduce the size it should have a higher row count. I don't see why you would want to go smaller but if it helps you with the swap then I guess you can. I chose not to, instead someday I hope to modify the are so Fluidyne or Koyo rad can fit.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i don't want to replace my rad with a smaller one. i'm just looking at what possibilities i have. maldo, what are you saying about your cat? sans cat?
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics

Return to “Forced Induction”