Jackson Racing Supercharger

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
MX3RS

Jackson Racing Supercharger

Post by MX3RS »

I was looking a a friends supercharged Miata a couple days ago and noticed that it looks like its possible to use the Jackson Racing Supercharger on our 1.6L DOHC motors since its basically the same thing right? All I can see that would be really different is where you route the intake pipe but that could be easily made cheaply. Maybe I am wrong but I think that this would be a possible alternative to turbo.
ProtegeSTS

Re: Jackson Racing Supercharger

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MX3RS:<BR><STRONG>I was looking a a friends supercharged Miata a couple days ago and noticed that it looks like its possible to use the Jackson Racing Supercharger on our 1.6L DOHC motors since its basically the same thing right? All I can see that would be really different is where you route the intake pipe but that could be easily made cheaply. Maybe I am wrong but I think that this would be a possible alternative to turbo.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, wont work.<P>the intake manifolds dont match up. Also notice that the JRSCs are mounted on the opposite side of the engine from the MX-3s to the Miatas, so it wont work. Already called Jackson like 3 years ago, and no-go.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

ok i think you are wrong in some sense. Take the Miata engine and rotate it 90 degrees to the left and thats how the MX-3 DOHC engine sits. I know that the TB is on the opposite side but you could adapt it to go the other way around if you tried. I really think that it may work since they are kinda laid out the same.
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

its true, the intake manifold and exhaust manifold gaskets match up perfectly. I have access to a ton of miata and mx3 parts if anyone is interested in any more interchangeability concerns. this may however be a time consuming upgrade. all piping will have to be fabricated and it is not easy to get near-perfect results. not to mention the way the sc pulley is driven may be a concern. also there is less space in the front of an mx3 than on the side of the miata in terms of mounting the sc in the front over the exhaust manifold---i would look for hood clearance problems first.<p>[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: boostedmx ]
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

Is it just me, or does the Miata version of the JRSC actually look like its almost universal? I mean if you had a cleaver way of mounting it to the engine then you could have a custom length belt made and the piping actually wouldnt be that hard at all. I dont know but correct me if I am wrong. But I still think that it could be adapted to the MX-3 with a little fabrication which wouldnt be all that hard.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

If you look at the miata engine and our engine the manifolds are on the opposite sides. Even if you did bolt it on the pulley would hit the strut tower.. I called jackson also and it is a no go..
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

the jrsc is mounted directly above the exhaust manifold, which would be no where near strut towers? hood clearance is an issue because it sits at the same height as the motor but farther forward. the exhaust manifold is on the right side of the engine on the miata and on the front of the mx3. with the timing cover facing the pass side of the car im sure u get the picture. I have had both the miata and mx3 engines apart and the only conflicting differences r the cams and some differently shaped coolant passages in the cyl. head. other than that the manifolds are completely different but use the same gaskets to seal. in the end all i see are a few problems that r easily fixable and the only reason i feel jr is saying that it is a "no go" would be because it is not a bolt up system and there are some things that aren't perfect. other than that the sc does look almost universal in a way that it could be modified to fit almost anything with a little work. :cool:
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

Thank you for seeing my point. At least somebody sees what I am talking about. So you would maybe have to make a custom hood with a bulge or scoop or something to make up for the hood clearences but I do think it will work with some ingenuity.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MX3RS:<BR><STRONG>Is it just me, or does the Miata version of the JRSC actually look like its almost universal? I mean if you had a cleaver way of mounting it to the engine then you could have a custom length belt made and the piping actually wouldnt be that hard at all. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's not really the supercharger that is built to fit your engine. It's the way everything on or around it is set up. It's not something you can just plug in and expect it to work.
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG><P>It's not really the supercharger that is built to fit your engine. It's the way everything on or around it is set up. It's not something you can just plug in and expect it to work.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Exactly, the supercharger itself is a M45 Eaton blower, just like every one you see on a civic.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
maldo

Post by maldo »

Sure a lot less work to turbocharge the RS. Even if you didn't want to swap a B6T in, you could buy a new manifold from Larsen or CRD, bolt on a turbo of choice, fabricate the i/c pipes and your almost there. Much greater power options too.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>Sure a lot less work to turbocharge the RS. Even if you didn't want to swap a B6T in, you could buy a new manifold from Larsen or CRD, bolt on a turbo of choice, fabricate the i/c pipes and your almost there. Much greater power options too.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>There are some very nice benefits of a roots type blower though, so its more of a per-person application choice than anything else. Either one will NOT be cheap.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
maldo

Post by maldo »

That is true, I can see in your case the benefits of a blower for autocrossing. The only downfall that I can really see for the performance/drag guy is that it is quite limited on power output. <P>You could always take out a mortgage on the house and use a JR supercharger along with a custom turbo setup. ;) Check out the twin charged '85 MR2 in SCC this month.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

also, from the drag/performace side, efficiency is of utmost importance. and a turbo is more efficient than a s/c. the s/c creates a higher temp intake charge than the turbo...and heat is bad :mad:
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><STRONG>That is true, I can see in your case the benefits of a blower for autocrossing. The only downfall that I can really see for the performance/drag guy is that it is quite limited on power output. <P>You could always take out a mortgage on the house and use a JR supercharger along with a custom turbo setup. ;) Check out the twin charged '85 MR2 in SCC this month.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Oh, i totally agree....if youre into drag racing, then dont even consider a supercharger, because youre not gonna have a chance. But a supercharger does have its good points.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “Forced Induction”