turbo 94 RS

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mixmastermark

turbo 94 RS

Post by mixmastermark »

what would be th cheapest, and best way to get my 94 running turbo? thanks , anyhelp would be great :)
VizualXTC

Re: turbo 94 RS

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mixmastermark:<BR><STRONG>what would be th cheapest, and best way to get my 94 running turbo? thanks , anyhelp would be great :)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Since you have the RS I would swap the BPT in. I bet a turbo would be about $3K and the BPT is only $1900. It gives you 210HP while a turbo on your car would only give you around 150HP MAX. Then again, I could be wrong on the whole deal.<p>[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

be reminded that the 210hp is from the gtr. the only place that i know of that has one is adelaide jap dismantlers in australia. these motors are hard to come by. corksport only sells the 180hp gtx. but i agree, the bpt out of the gtx is the best way to go. by the time you fabricate the turbo setup and change your compression to optimize your turbo, you would have wasted a lot of money when you could have gotten a motor swap.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:<BR><STRONG>be reminded that the 210hp is from the gtr ....... corksport only sells the 180hp gtx</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Corksport lists the BPT (from GTR) for $1875. I doubt they would have it posted on their site that they sell it if they don't. It does say "these engines are difficult to locate, and delivery time may be extended" but they don't say the can't get one. The 180HP BPT is only $990, and well worth the money. It all depends on how bad you want horsepower. If you're on a budget, and in a hurry go 180HP, if not go with the 210HP.<p>[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i exchange e-mails with derrick almost daily. they don't offer the gt-r because they haven't come across one in over a year. it is an extremely hard motor to come by. there are other companies who do sell them from overseas...but i've only found one. i've talked to 3 or 4 major j-spec engine importers and none of them can get one. corksport even says that if you plan on building a motor, it's worth getting the gt-x. the only main benifits of the gt-r is the sodium exhaust valves(which a stainless steal valve is a better upgrade), .2 higher comp ratio(which isn't even worth it, you'd probably want to go to 8.5 or 8.75 either way), the bigger turbo(which you'd eventually swap out in either case...t3/t4 hybrid) and the intake manifold(which you can purchase brand new for about 160 bones)
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
BigProbe

Post by BigProbe »

You guys dont think it would be cheaper for him to keep the motor he has, then pay a shop a few thousand to make a manifold, and run the coolant lines?
Darin<BR>93 Probe GT<BR>242hp/256tq (wheel)<BR>Custom Intake<BR>93 Miata LE (#935 of 1500)<BR>102hp/92tq (PHEAR!)<BR>GReddy Catback<P>[This message has be edited by David Coleman (edited February 17, 2001).]
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Corksport says the GTX is a better buy because they have the GTX and not the GTR. The asymetrical manifold is quite good, as is the VJ23. The GTX is a good motor option, as making GTR power is just a boost controller away...
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

not necccessarily. this was after i told him i was getting my motor from somewhere else. so his statement doesn't reflect a sale, unless he said it in case i told other people like i'm doing now. hmm....reverse psychology maybe? but yes, the ball bearing vj23 is a better turbo along with the better manifold. but who's to say you don't get the manifold and slap on a better turbo? for the headache and price of finding a gtr motor, you could build one just as good if not better.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
mixmastermark

Post by mixmastermark »

thanks for the imput guys <BR>i was going to put in the bpt becasue my engine was shot , but i was scared of extra changes that i would have had to make :(<BR>putting in the newer stcok engine was hard enoughas it was , and we sill haven;t got it working right.<BR>what need to change to put in the bpt?<BR>i might do the swap next season <BR>thanks
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

what needs to change for the bpt? it depends on the setup you are going to run. from corksport, you can get everything you need(engine, ecu, harness, sensors..incl the knock module, fuel resistor, and purge valve) for around 1300. if you don't want to go that way, you can get the protege ecu and get a fuel controller(ie, s-afc). you will need an upgraded fuel pump(bosch, rx7, etc.) if you want to keep the stock tranny, you will have to shave about 1.5in off the passenger drive shaft. here's a link to someone who kept the stock drivetrain...<P> <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bat_elof/bpt.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/bat_elof/bpt.html</A> <P><BR>but i'd suggest getting the protege clutch, flywheel, and tranny. you don't have to alter the motor mounts. the next challenge is to mount an intercooler.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
pakix2000

Post by pakix2000 »

David is right, the GTR is just a boost controller away. Who here has ever changed the valves on a head? You get a better manifold, better valves, most importantly a better turbo. GTR would be the engine of choice between the two. <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG>Corksport says the GTX is a better buy because they have the GTX and not the GTR. The asymetrical manifold is quite good, as is the VJ23. The GTX is a good motor option, as making GTR power is just a boost controller away...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

here is thought why no one wants to mention that the amount of boost you can run on that motor is greatly diffrent also do to the thin rods.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by texmx3:<BR><STRONG>here is thought why no one wants to mention that the amount of boost you can run on that motor is greatly diffrent also do to the thin rods.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><I>Did you just say a BPT has thin rods? </B></I> :o :p :eek:
David Coleman
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

yes from what derrick has informed me on is that the 1.8 has thinner rods than does the 1.6 that is why you can safely max the motor out at 18 lbs but that is still very fast and a lot more torque
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by texmx3:<BR><STRONG>yes from what derrick has informed me on is that the 1.8 has thinner rods than does the 1.6 that is why you can safely max the motor out at 18 lbs but that is still very fast and a lot more torque</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Image <P>Those look pretty beefy to me Image<BR>Oh, of the protege guys who have swapped to GTX BP's. I'd like to mention Braden running 23psi, Denis running 18 with an ATX. Both have had no reliability problems. <P>The BP is an amazingly strong motor, screaming for lots of boost in both Turbo and NA forms. <P><BR> Image
David Coleman

Return to “Forced Induction”