Clear Euro Third Brake Light

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
matt-gerrard
Supporting Member

Clear Euro Third Brake Light

Post by matt-gerrard »

Hey ,sup folks I was lookin around on a week or two ago another website and I saw a clear third brake light I can't remember where it was(they looked grrrrreat!!!! ). but, maybe you guys can help me out, so it can complete the look of my car and maybe get one yourselves....M
I just love the cars that we have no matt-er(lol) how little or much you do to them there all so beautiful!Drive it, like you stole it!'92 gs V6
http://www.dfwmazdas.com/vbulletin/imag ... 1148070546
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Clear Euro Third Brake Light

Post by Custommx3 »

they just pulled off the red cover.
VampireSix

Post by VampireSix »

FYI, seeing your from Texas... its illegal to have a brake light thats any color other than red.... maybe you just want the clear cover, which means you will need red bulbs. Be careful, though.. if you get pulled over for having the wrong color brake lights, and its because of a mod, they won't go easy on you.
-Vampire Six
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

Originally posted by VampireSix:
FYI, seeing your from Texas... its illegal to have a brake light thats any color other than red.... maybe you just want the clear cover, which means you will need red bulbs. Be careful, though.. if you get pulled over for having the wrong color brake lights, and its because of a mod, they won't go easy on you.
You need red brake lights wherever you are in North America
DVH

Post by DVH »

Just take the red cover off like barry said and put red LED bulbs in....when not lit up, they are clear and when brake is depressed, they light up red..........just a suggestion
Derek Van Horne MX-3.com Member # 33
94 MX-3 Silver Stone Metallic CAR is SOLD
Car Domain Web page MX-3
Car Domain Web page SRT-4
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

yeah, as DVH and Barry mentioned is the easy way.
I did this (took the red light cover off) to mine almost 4 years ago...I just used regular red tinted bulbs in place of the stock ones. Someday I'll get around to using LED's :)
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Like the two posts mentioned above, it's the easy way and probably how I'd do it at first too.

But, it's still illegal.

Red filament bulbs are not approved light bulbs to replace the ones there. There aren't any in existence that are legal. They're just normal bulbs with a red translucent paint coating on them.

And, as for the LED "bulb" replacements, they work fine.....in basically a straight line. This is why they are illegal. Most LEDs emit light in a narrow 110 degree pattern, so side viewing will almost be none existent, especially when removing that red flutted lense.

An alternative would be to make your own LED cluster and arrange the LEDs to be on an arc of sorts, so they emit light to all angles.

I bet there's even a pre-made LED unit out there that you could modify too. Try companies like Techspan Automotive, Grote, Peterson, and Signal Stat.
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

if you could somehow find a car that has a clear 3rd brake light lense you could modify that to fit in your stock assembly that way you can have a semi legal brake light

Return to “Appearance”