TopMix GTR wing install problem

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Rick Johnson

TopMix GTR wing install problem

Post by Rick Johnson »

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of installing the toppix GTR wing I got off of Marlon via Ebay. Anyways the curve of the bottom part doesn't quite match the curve of our back window - It's too flat of a curve so there is about a 1.5 inch gap on each side of the wing. If I push down I can reduce that gap but, I know if I push any harder I will crack the bottom wing portion. Has anyone else had this problem? I plan to use the factory bolt spots by attaching studs to the wing so thats all good but this problem i didn't see coming, I thought the topmix wings fit properly - thats why I bought it.

What I need to do is bend the wing slightly but it's rigid fiberglass, can I heat it up and bend it? I don't have any pieces of fiberglass laying around so I can't test this out. Or can I apply another layer of resin and will that soften it?? I doubt that would work for some reason... Any fiberglass people around?
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: TopMix GTR wing install problem

Post by Josh »

that what i just put on my car is the deck garnesh from the GTR spoiler. had the same problem with it.

what i did is straped the garnish upside down to a board, and used blocks to raise up the ends till my desired hight. and then i took some small pieces of fiberglass and resigned them to the underside and let dry. after it was all dry it fit perfectly, basically by fiberglassing the under side when its bent it will hold the shape. thats really the only way to reshape it. then i took the stock bolts and used two stage epoxy and glued them to the underside where the bolt holes go for the two end ones since their longer i uset toilet bolts their the same shape, but longer. and then i fiberglassed around the bolts for added strength. works like a champ.
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

If you happen to live in Toronto, take it to BC auto design, they will install it for you for 50$, and you will reduce the hassles later on. its pretty much a pain to install them yourself and you might no be able to fit it probably. But yeah, on none of them the bottom part fits properly and you have to soften the material somehow in order not to *uck it up. :D
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

Hey Josh the GTR garnish is the one you bought from me about 2 months ago ... got any pics ? I would like to see it installed ....did you get it painted ?

<small>[ October 14, 2004, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Gregory Christian ]</small>
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Originally posted by Gregory Christian:
Hey Josh the GTR garnish is the one you bought from me about 2 months ago ... got any pics ? I would like to see it installed ....did you get it painted ?
yah its the same one. i painted it black for now. i wish my car was purple though. the paint was awsome. im going to wrap it in carbon fiber later on this winter. should flow good with the CF hood. ill get some pics up soon. looks way better than that picnic table i had on their before.
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

[/QUOTE]yah its the same one. i painted it black for now. i wish my car was purple though. the paint was awsome. ill get some pics up soon. looks way better than that picnic table i had on their before. [/QB][/QUOTE]

actually the paint is Creek Blue , and you don't see to many in that color . :)
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Finally some replies, thanks guys. Josh I had basically the same idea for mounting with epoxy and using the stock bolt holes w/long bolts. I like the idea of the extra fiberglass to. The bottom portion is pretty small compared the regular spoiler, by that I mean it *barely* covers the glass but with the top portion it does increase the width.

$50 for install?! I wish I was in ontario thats a good deal, but I'd be paranoid that they'd do a ****ty job...
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

I used the original hatch garnish when I installed my GTR spoiler because the one that came with the spoiler was a terrible fit ... try using your stock garnish if you have it
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i was just happy that someone was selling the lip. cause i called everywhere that sold them with the spoiler and they wouldent just sell me the lip. so thanks Gregory. if i dont have to make it myself than thats better for me :)

Return to “Appearance”