What Makes A Show Car????

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
seneca

What Makes A Show Car????

Post by seneca »

Hey guys what makes a real show car a show WINNER!!! I have just been given the opertunity to be sponsored. So I will be getting alot of work done for free, or at cost. But What really makes a car a real head turner? ANd what are some down sides? I guess my question is..is this going to be too much work? I really don't know what makes a car a show stopper. Do judges look at just the body, underneath, engine/engine bay, stereo, spl, stereo presentation??? lol you see I have lots of questions! So should I take the sponsorship? It will mean lots of coverage...and lots of shows. I actually I do believe that IF I have my baby up to par by the summer I have a spot waiting for me at some show in the skydome??? I cannot remember what it's called tho :shrug:
Thx,
Tyson

<small>[ January 26, 2004, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: seneca ]</small>
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.
HRO

Re: What Makes A Show Car????

Post by HRO »

The judges look at absolutly every detail of your car, if you want to win shows you'll have to do everything. Our class is hard, usually they group all mazda's together (there is no mx-3 class, usually), or even tie them in with Toyota's or some other make of vehical. Thus making it even harder for us, since the class's are so broad.

Also there are usually different classes within the mazda class, like mild or wild. Mild would be stock engine (no turbo/ nitrous) and stock body (no shaved handles, no conversions, no shaved mouldings, etc...) so you'll need to decide which class you want to go into. You can try to max out the mild class, or you can go crazy and try in the wild class. Wild can be pretty crazy, some guys have fully airbrushed paint jobs, with light conversions, big chrome rims (spinners), i've seen a millenia with 5 15inch flat screens in the truck, with 20" spintek spinners, rag top, s15 conversion, suicide doors, supercharges, etc... (he took 2nd place at Funk master Flex's Celeberty car show for Audio/Video, but he's from Hamilton, Ontario and competes in most of the Canada shows) apparently the car is appraised at like $200,000.

Hopefully this helps you a bit on your decision and can point you in some sort of direction.
My Cardomain Site<p>Image<p> FBSS Air suspension, 12 gallon tank, viair 450 comp
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

turbos still fit under mild, mild is anything that is bolt on as soon as you start molding shaving and so on your in wild, so you can have all the mods in the world and still be in mild or be almost stock and mold on your side skirts and be put in wild. Most people try to compete in the mild class so some times its better to enter the wild class. After you have the extreme class or topgun or what ever the event wants to call it in that class there is no brake down every one competes for 3 spot and thats realy done up rides, power swinging doors, hot rods power moving ice set up. Its a very extreme class
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
Taras

Post by Taras »

Be prepared for your car to be a trailer queen.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

and some shows work on a piont system they have a list of mods every mod has a given point value. You add up all the points you have and that determends what class you will be in.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
Show_MX

Post by Show_MX »

As a judge, here is what I suggest. First and foremost....if you don't do it right, don't do it at all! That is the biggest issue. Each car is judged on it's individual pros/cons and not subject to how available parts are. Depending on the show and who is coordinating it, you are subject to their classifications of your car...some shows would put turbo/paint & body would put you in wild. **CLEAN*** your car, I don't mean clean only what you can see, but CLEAN fender wells and such. My rule is if I can reach, you should clean it. Daily driven? that's fine...I've seen many cars daily driven that are immaculate so that excuse holds no water. Presentation: have some presentation around the car, take a wheel off and show off your suspension. Just make sure what you do, do it right, and make sure it's clean inside and out. Yes, it's a lot of work but if you want to win, that's what takes it.
Now, some shows ARE biased, that's life. You can have the best car out there but you won't win against someone who is in good with that show. A fine example is the RX-7 from 935draggers. He is in good with Import Expression so he wins, no it's not fair but as long as you are in it for fun, take it with a grain of salt and make sure you did your best. If you are interested, I can get our rule book for ICSA (int'l car show association) posted for you to view. Hope that helps.
seneca

Post by seneca »

thx guys,
Yeah seems like some pretty serious stuff. I will still be considering this option. It sounds very rigourus! And demanding. And by NO means would I have my mx become a trailer Queen, although she would be a beauty! :p
I've seen some pretty basic (yet still modified)looking cars that have still won at shows. Mind you they prob weren't HUGE shows!
Oh and wow!!! Thats a nice project you have on your hands there! How close to finshed are you?
Thx for the replies.
Tyson
My Car Domain Page:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/496099

Take a Look, leave a comment, and don't forget to vote.

Return to “Appearance”