how to remove carpet and clen up door panels?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
BucktownMx3

how to remove carpet and clen up door panels?

Post by BucktownMx3 »

how do u remove the carpet and clean it up so you could paint it with the paint u paint ur car with? i know a few people have removed the carpet on their doors and used acetone to clean em up bu im not sure on the exact details. so ne help is appreciated.

thanks
94 mx3 gs (sold)
92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX(14.3 @ 99.08- almost completely stock)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: how to remove carpet and clen up door panels?

Post by Custommx3 »

if you remove them you cannot put them back on.
BucktownMx3

Post by BucktownMx3 »

i have the back panels cleaned up already, i just dont know what im gonna do with the fronts. ne body else know ne thign i can do?
94 mx3 gs (sold)
92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX(14.3 @ 99.08- almost completely stock)
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

I used barry's advice he gave me along time ago, he told me to use acetone. Im actually removing that stuff from door panels now. Once the Carpet and the first plastic/rubber material is removed, Im gonna prime and paint over the fake leather stuff.
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

just to let you know if you paint the fake leather stuff under the door carpet, it'll start cracking after a week. trust me. paint is not meant for flexible materials. i recommend wrapping the stuff with vinyl or leather instead for lasting results.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

I plan on putting alot of coats of paint and alot of coats of clear coat...its should hold up....shouldnt it. The thing is my ineterior pieces already have a custom paint to it. Its like a silver and hints a change to purple, a very small hint. And I know I will never find vinyl or and other material to put on the doors. I did a very good job on my front interior. It looks very professioinal. the only time I touch those doors is if im opening the door to get out, and thats only touching the the handle. I have a stick shift so my left hand is constantly on the wheel.
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
mxer4eva

Post by mxer4eva »

just to let you know if you paint the fake leather stuff under the door carpet, it'll start cracking after a week. trust me. paint is not meant for flexible materials. i recommend wrapping the stuff with vinyl or leather instead for lasting results.
I have my rear panels painted, all I did was sand down that fuzzy stuff that was on there under the carpet and I primed it. THen I added a lot of paint, I forget how many coats but it has yet to chip or crack. I have had mine painted since june too. But if I could do it all over again, I would have just fiberglassed the carpeting that was there and then have it painted really nice by a shop.

Hey Marsh, in your sig it says carbonwerks, do you work for them or have any affilation to them?
thanks
1993 GSR - Black with CS Mazdaspeed style front and sides skirts, KLDE and a bunch of other mods. Patiently awaiting a T3Super60, intercooler,MSnS and a custom fuel rail.
1993 VW Corrado SLC- completely stock. (May she R.I.P)
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

Originally posted by JYOUNYA1:
the only time I touch those doors is if im opening the door to get out, and thats only touching the the handle.
those were the only times i touched the door too.

mxer4eva i know someone from carbonwerks and am trying to get with that company because ive helped with some of their work. they've helped with some stuff on my car as well.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
mxer4eva

Post by mxer4eva »

Marsh,

They are one of the best companies I have seen out in a long time, their website is one of the most informative sites I have been too. Their forums section was so informative when I was researching how to work with carbon fiber. Not that many companies are that open and helpful to their prospective customers, which is the sign of a good business that I would buy from. Good luck with getting in with them, hopefull we will see a few mx-3 products out from them in the future.
1993 GSR - Black with CS Mazdaspeed style front and sides skirts, KLDE and a bunch of other mods. Patiently awaiting a T3Super60, intercooler,MSnS and a custom fuel rail.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

yea those guys are great. learned a few new tricks to add to my collection of skills. i was actually thinking of starting up my own small-time cfiber production with a few other friends and doing a few limited things for cars. look out in a month for a cfiber mx-3 front lip and fuel door and engine shroud. they're still in the works because its best to use a slow-curing resin for cfiber, but if my products turn out nice i may make a few 20-30 of each item and then destroy my molds.
- team slideways
mxer4eva

Post by mxer4eva »

I would def buy some of the products that you mentioned, except the front lip. I am making my own for a MS style front, hopefully it will turn out nice. But yeah, if you do get some of those products out let me know, as long as its after christmas and all that.

thanks

Return to “Appearance”