Corrosion weakspots

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
kration

Corrosion weakspots

Post by kration »

I have a 1992 V6 - black<p>The rear wheel arches have started to rust, and a bit of corrosion has started to appear around the sunroof (both opening and sunroof 'lid').<p>Apparently the rear wheel arches are a weak-spot due to the construction method (dirt collects on the rim, stores moisture and therefore aids corrosion).<p>I am considering whether to pay for body repairs or change the car. Are there any other weak spots that I need to look for?<p>Any help is appreciated.<p>[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: kration ]</p>
Tyler17rose

Re: Corrosion weakspots

Post by Tyler17rose »

the under side of my passenger side door is rotting away... might just be mine, i dono check yours just incase.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies

Post by Guest »

^^^ same here, bottom of pass side door.... :(
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

the frame around the side windows.... :mad:
I got my car painted and it's coming out again...
and the bottom of driver door.....that's all for me<p>[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: babyblueMX3 ]</p>
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

on the fender close to the wheel wells.
Coodoodxx

Post by Coodoodxx »

Yeah i have a blaze red, and i noticed a bit or rust under my passenger door too, and around my windshield and sunroof.
'93 mx-3, 1.8L V6, Red
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

under both door, and between the fuel intake cover and the wheel wel
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

Strange as it may sound, I have rust on the front bumber.. Yeah, I know that it is 'plastic' (I also know that it's not plastic, but I cant remember the english word for it right now) but when you open the hood and look at the top-most part of the front bumber, there's a slim piece of metal imbedded in the plastic. On my car that piece have a lot of rust and it's going to die soon. I've tried to fix it, but I cant get to the part that is imbedded in the plastic. <p>Anybody else have that problem.. or a suggestion of what do do about it? I have to say that I'm not exactly loosing any sleep over it and as I considering getting a kit front-bumber anyway, I'm not going to spend much on fixing it.
kration

Post by kration »

Thanks for the help people - this shows just how good the MX-3 on-line community is :) <p>I have given my car a good look over, and will also mention this to the body-shop (though this may be an excuse for them to print money :/ ). There is also a bit of rust appearing on the bodywork under the front when I open the bonnet ('hood' for the US ppl)<p>keep the comments coming re. rust weak-spots - as the MX-3's get older, then this will become more pertinent :s
Johns93GS

Post by Johns93GS »

The frame right under the passenger door, and the wheel wells
john kilfoyle .:. mx-3 fanatic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnmx3
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

I’ve got a patch of rust at the top of the rear passenger side wheel well…and some surface rust on the bottom of both doors.
mmonid

Post by mmonid »

Why is it mostly just the passenger door!?!? Did they make that differently? Last summer, I had the passenger side rocker panel cut out and replaced ($250, painted and you can't tell the difference). There is also some at the bottom of the passenger side door, on the fender above the wheel, and behind the side windows. Otherwise, nothing else major.
Matthew Monid

1993 MX-3 RS 5-Speed (Sold)/1997 Volvo 850 AWD Turbo 5-Speed
BoomerX54

Post by BoomerX54 »

I HAD rust right underneath my front left mud gaurd.. i beleive it was caused by an accident, and poor body work before i owend the car..i fixed the rust myself..only prob i didnt match the paint...<p>I also have very small patch of rust starting in driver side front wheel well...wont appear for another 2 years though
96' Blaze Red
Kicker CVR 12"
PG 250.2
JVC kx980
PG QX 1.0
mazdamaniac

Post by mazdamaniac »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by reklez:
Why is it mostly just the passenger door!?!? Did they make that differently? <hr></blockquote><p>It gets opened less than the driver side door.
Moisture trapped between the door and the sill stays there longer.

Return to “Appearance”