Power Window Mechanism Swap

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
maldo

Re: Power Window Mechanism Swap

Post by maldo »

Hey Jeff, I am working on this same swap right now. I have picked up the window motor/regulators but need to source door panels and switches. From my understanding of the swap, as long as each piece has the electrical connection intact it should be a simple plug and play. Therefore you obviously need the appropriate switches. I think the last time I had the door panel off, the wiring harness already existed within the door. The wiring within the cabin is already there so the main focus is just within the door and its panel. Are you planning on doing this yourself? I am trying to determine what type of adhesive is used to mount the window itself to the regulator. Any ideas?

BTW, the guy that sells the regulators on Ebay is where I got mine from. The connections are complete and he includes the mounting hardware with them.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Well, my 93RS didn't have the adapter plug for the power windows or locks, so I bought a whole GS harness and replaced it. Other than that, the modules fit right in, and the driver's door panel needed to be cut for the driver's switch. That's about it.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

jeff, i successfully did the swap a few months ago. all i needed was the motor/regulator, switches for PS from a mx-3, and driverside switch from an rx-7 (modification to fit, but works). unfortunately w/ the wiring, i did custom. i wired the motors in unison to a power source that is hot when the car is off and i custom wired the motor to the switches (very easy to do).

im sure you want a bolt-in OE harness, which was your main concern i believe. i remember someone saying that the harness plugs into two harnesses found by the ebrake when you remove the center armrest console. if you decide to custom wire the system, let me know and ill be happy to tell you which wire does what and where it connects to.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

Jeff, i have done the swap 3 times on 3 different times on different cars. you will exactly need, the entire wiring inside the door to the door hinge (which then clips instead of the existing wiring to the door, has connections to power mirrors, speakers, power locks). Easiest way is to remove the doors so you have an easier access to the clip i mentioned. You will also need both side window motors and regulators (they are NOT interchangable). Power window switches is a must also. There is no neccessity for the door panels as you can cover the existing manual window handle holes and make the driver side hole for the switch yourself. :D
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

U KNOW I WANT TO DO THAT CONVERSION TOO tired of looking like a jack *** when i roll down the passanger side window
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
rancid420potheadpunk

Post by rancid420potheadpunk »

i hate haveing to roll down the windows, it sucks.
XxLuieLinesxX

Post by XxLuieLinesxX »

i have all the parts and tried doing it but the only thing that was getting power was the side view mirros and the speakers, i changed the entire wiring inside the door and i got the regulators and switches. i dont know if the wiring inside the car is different. well anyways i think i'm selling the car if any1 is interested, i'm getting a nice mercedes SLK that even has heated seats!!. i dont have room to park both cars so i'm selling it, any takers?i'll give you all the power windows stuff. the car has rims and a nice exhaust, clean.
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

it's a really easy swap
just go by what kuruption1983 said
my first window took about 45 min the 2nd only about 20

just a tip when your trying to take the motor out of the window it has to be rolled down almost to the bottom to get at the bolts
so if you get it from a junk yard u gotta get a battery and some wires and connect it to the window motor to give it power

if you need help pm me
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

I just got back from buying two power window doors complete to do the swap. I thought that would be easier than messing with all the parts.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

Originally posted by Kick @#$ Mazda:
I just got back from buying two power window doors complete to do the swap. I thought that would be easier than messing with all the parts.
thats what u did :2thumbsup:
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”