Car painting questions??

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)

Car painting questions??

Post by Guest »

Well I have a friend that is going to paint my car. He's done quite a few and they look good. So I have a few questions, <p>he only sands down to the base coat and smoothes it all out. I know its better to go to metal but will it still have quality and last long this way?<p>How much do you guys think dark metallic blue paint, primer, and clear coat will cost? roughly anyways. <p>Also how much is that pearl kinda color changing clear coat, not the camelian stuff but the single color kind. <p>And as for under the hood, do most of you paint the underside of the hood when changing color, I know im not going to bother with the engine bay, also what about the wheel wells, will that even be visable lowered with 17's?<p>Do you remover all the stripping around windows and so on or just get it as close as possible? I know im doing that around the doors but not sure if its possible around other areas. <p>I want to take the mirrors, spoiler, lights, and anyhitng else that will come off. How is the spoiler on there? glue? any help would be great for getting it off.<p>Thanks alot
RanMan

Re: Car painting questions??

Post by RanMan »

There is no point sanding to the metal unless you have to do bodywork. I can assure you that the factory primer is probably attached to the car better than any primer that you can add over the top of it. You just have to rough up the surface to make the paint stick. Paint costs totally depend on the brand and effects you plan on using.
exdream_mx3

Post by exdream_mx3 »

hey!!! My dad paints for a living and did my car. It's a chameleon purple to green with silver flaking in it. The cost of the paint and most of the materials isn't really that expensive. We sanded mine down, fixed the dents and then primered the whole thing before putting on a black base coat. Do you have a factory spoiler? If i can remember there are bolts on the inside of the hatch that you have to take out. Any questions email me at millerjaz3@aol.com!!! Good Luck!!! :D

Post by Guest »

hey thanks alot man, ya ive got the factory spoiler. Im really starting to think about going black and getting a blue tinted clear coat. PRobably about the same effect I am looking for, I want an almost black blue. And of course I want good quality paint.
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

I'd say go with ppg, or house of color paints. take out your inner fender well walls, I'd suggest cleaning them off and respraying them with some black krylon. Mask all rubber! When we painted my mudgaurds and mirrors, we took them off, masked off the glass on the mirror, and hung both the mudguards and mirrors with hooks and sprayed them while they were suspended, I highly recommend that. Make sure you switch grades of sandpaper when you are prepping the car. Go out and buy a longboard, and a soft block. Try and sand out bondo by hand after its getting thin. There is really no need at all to go down to metal when sanding unless there is rust that needs to be killed. I'd go to a paint store and pick out colors in there books. Pearl is always more expensive. My paint was $60 a quart, pearl I believe was $100 something a quart. Chameleon was about $200 a PINT! I would suggest painting the underside of the hood, do the outsides of the engine bay, nothing innard if you can't yank the motor, do it now trust me, you won't regret it and it looks that much cleaner. I'd also highly recommend you to do your jams. Small stuff to remember, mask off your muffler and radiator, I forgot and had to do more work to make it look not as stoopid later on, lol, wrap your wheels and tires in garbage bags, mask your antenna, mask your windshield wiper area and headlights well. I'd take out your tailights and blinkers and all sidemarkers. Do NOT paint the inner part of the mudguards either, it won't last and its a waste of paint really. If you have rubber molding on the sides of your car, its easy to get rid of that just by peeling it off and getting an eraser wheel that attaches to a drill. If you're going to paint your interior pieces, do it now, scuff them up and shoot it with car paint and clear coat em. I'm sure your friend knows what he is doing though. ;)<p>[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: 992mmx3 ]</p>
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."

Post by Guest »

Haha thanks man ya ithink he knows to do that stuff. Ya my big concerns are getting the doorjams and little spots done. Im shaving the entenna and trunk keyhole. As well as taking off the back mx3 v6 emblems. There is like no color left in the wheel wells so ill see what he can about it. Hes going to take like a week, so Im sure he'll get every nook and cranny. Ya im definately taking every thing off that can be suspended and sprayed. The bumper is a MS style so it can be fitted and taken off to spray. Same with the skirts and rear mud guards. Umm my one concern is all the seals around windows and what not, Ive seen cars done were if you look around the seals you see the old color. For my doors im going to take all the seals around it off so I cant paint that black part on the upper part of the door. Also ill take the panles off the inside of the door so he can get all in there. I know how to take most my car apart so im going to help him in that regard. Im also taking my altezzas apart and getting rid of that silver, painting them the same color as the car. The previous owners of my car put some plastic strips down the side of my car and ive noticed one lifting and some rust under, so I hope its not too bad. Those strips are coming off either way, I just hope they dont take the paint with them. Ya Im going to go to some paint stores today or tomorrow and check out some samples.
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

dont do a black with a blue pearl it looks stupid. makes the black look hazy. pearls are mostly for lighter colors. and ppg is just as good as house of colors. ive used both and ppg is in stock everywhere and HOC is mostly order or difficult to find. either way the outcome is the work underneath the paint. good luck
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
mazdamaniac

Post by mazdamaniac »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by boostedmx:
dont do a black with a blue pearl it looks stupid. makes the black look hazy. pearls are mostly for lighter colors. and ppg is just as good as house of colors. <hr></blockquote><p>My car is black with blue pearl and it is not hazy.
It is black with a shift to blue in the sunlight.
The trick is to know how to mix and apply pearl correctly in the clear coat.

Post by Guest »

Hey man thanks for the info! I wont do that for the sake of originality, if I do go with pearl coat then Ill pick red or something, but Im probably just going to do a metallic color, blue if i dont change my mind, all depends when i actually get my *** to the auto paint place.

Return to “Appearance”