hydraulic springs for hood.

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Acamori

hydraulic springs for hood.

Post by Acamori »

right now i can get my hands on two 22.5 lb and two 112.5 lb hydraulic springs (like the ones that hold up the hatch) i know the 112.5 lb ones are too stiff to put on the hood, but can anyone tell me if the 22.5 lb ones are stiff enough before i go putting them on.
thanks
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
marshmallow15

Re: hydraulic springs for hood.

Post by marshmallow15 »

hydraulic springs? oh you mean gas hatchback struts.. well make sure they're not too strong and have them welded to the bay.. i tried simply bolting them in and when i push the hood down, it bent the frame and engine bay.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

i haven't really tried fitting them in yet, but did you have to cut a grove for yours or not?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I havent done this, but this may help<p>http://www.angelfire.com/ma/cwrrules/hood.html
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

ok, so i tried fitting them under where i think mine would fit (they're kinda long, about a foot travel) problem is, the 22 lb ones aren't stiff enough to hold up the hood, i'm gonna try the others but i'm pretty sure they'll be too stiff (i only have these two sets courtesy of work, they were on a machine housing that got scrapped so i snagged em)
i'll let you know if the heavy ones will work but it'll be a while.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

the link barry posted is the same i used. here's a tip.. i noticed the rides on universal studios tram tour uses doors powered by those gas struts. i studied carefully and i noticed that one end of the strut was bolted to the door, and the other end was bolted to a little bracket that was welded to the tram. this makes sense because with that type of setup, you can open the door a ful 180 degrees.<p>anyways, i don't think heavier struts will help.. you need some that'll be less restrictive and still be able to hold up the hood.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

btw the 22lbs ones sound perfect.. maybe they didn't hold up the hood because you installed them at a wrong angle.. remember the better the angle, the better it'll hold, but then it'll be harder to close/open.. so use those for a base.
- team slideways
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

i haven't acctually installed them yet, just looked at places that they'd fit, i'd rather not cut if i don't need to. i'm gonna play with it some more when i get back from vacation (in about 2 weeks)<p>btw thanks for the info

Return to “Appearance”