clear hatch cover?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
silentsketch

clear hatch cover?

Post by silentsketch »

Hey, i was just wondering if anyone here has done a custom clear hatch cover using fiberglass or something. I thought this would be a pretty cool mod to get rid of the ugly stock hatch cover. If you have done this, or done any other cool mods to your hatch cover, post pics, i'd like some ideas.
Tyler17rose

Re: clear hatch cover?

Post by Tyler17rose »

I think a clear hatch cover will defeat the purpose of the hatch cover.... wont it? just my 2 cents.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Are you referring to the actual hatch cover inside the car or the hatch garnish where a spoiler would go?? Either way, if it was clear it would be pointless.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
silentsketch

Post by silentsketch »

okay, now that i think about it, i guess the clear hatch cover would be kinda pointless, i was just thinking if you had a nice fiberglass molded set up for your subs and stuff in ur trunk, and had neons in there and whatnot, it may boost the appearance of it, because you don't have the ugly hatch cover over it. Anyways, how about any other custom hatch covers? anyone other than mx3vs done this?
Not-His

Post by Not-His »

Before I had a custom box built into the wheel well, we attempted to custom make one out of fiber glass. We were going to cut a mazda symbol in the middle. It didn't work out so well. We are not very experienced with fiber glass. So we chunked the idea. With my neon inside the false floor, I would not want to cover that up. Just got really dark tent.
Ogimoj

Post by Ogimoj »

I did a bit of custom work to my stock cover. There are two indentations in the stock cover - I cut out the rear one, leaving a ridge all the way around. I then made a "frame" out of wood that fit perfectly in the indentation. I painted the wooden frame black and then covered it in speaker grill mesh cloth in order to get an accousticly transparent cover that was visibly opaque. Worked out pretty well - looks like it is supposed to go there. Oh, and I attached the completed piece to the ridge I left around the cut-out using velcro.
I did this simple mod because I don't use the stock rear speaker positions - opting instead for the ability to use larger mid/high drivers than what will fit in the stock location. I built my mids/highs into my sub box (separate, sealed chambers of course)
Anyway... I don't think I have any pictures, but I guess I could get around to it if anybody really cares to see it. (It's nothing all that special)
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

IF you want a clear cover...one word...PLeix-glass
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

I made a custom hatch cover, I think there is a picture or two of it on my webpage. I took out the stock hatch cover, and made a new one out of particle board. The new hatch cover houses two 6x9 speakers in an enclosed box. Looks much better than the stock one, plus houses the bigger speakers.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
gmuffb

Post by gmuffb »

I'm actually in the middle of this type of project. I've cut out the center indentations, i've peeled off the carpeting, and i've started fiber glassing it. I'm only fiber glassing it because it was very unstable and broken without the carpet. My intentions are to fill in the cut area with some type of graded material and to re upholster the cover in the same color (black) material. I will post pics when i'm through. It will probably be a while, because i'm also in the middle of some home improvement projects...as always.
¤Kelli¤
airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

forget the hatch cover, its called 5% limo tinted rear window
JºrDôñ
Mx sold, gonna miss ya babe

gti_driven@hotmail.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

After i get paid this friday im gonns start my own custom hatch cover, it'll be used to encase my carpc. Having the DVD/CD-RW Drive stick up just above the rear seats, have a case window (those who know computer case modding) in the shape of my 92's Diamond-Mazda symbol, light by 2 blue sound-sensitive neons<p>I have no idea of what basic materials im gonna use, but im aiming light and stiff and must hold the weight of the average computer.The only idea i have right now is fibreglass-reinforced plywood or particle board. Although i want a ncie looking system, i would like to still enjoy "spririted" driving, and if all goes well, maybe a little AutoX.<p>The fun part is that i;ve also never worked with fibreglass and i have no idea of its strength.<p>[ May 20, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Appearance”