? For those of you with RED MX-3's

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Gro Harlem

? For those of you with RED MX-3's

Post by Gro Harlem »

I'm about to buy a 93 GS 5spd that is red in color. I've yet to be able to test drive it, and I have a question about the paint.<p>DOes the paint have clearcoat on it? I know some other red mazdas do not, and when you go to polish the paint, the red rubs off onto your cloth :( .
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Re: ? For those of you with RED MX-3's

Post by neverenuff »

All MX-3 have a clear coat the prob is after time the clear coat fades thus leaving paint exposed. I have not seen to many red MX-3's that did not need a new paint job by now.The side mirros are nutorius for this. Hope that helps.
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

The paint on my car held up really well, except for the mirrors like enough said. I had my ground effects painted last year with the base coat/clear coat and it still matched the factory red. I just have to get the mirrors painted.
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

I had the same problem. So i painted my car a different colour
bikeguy18974

Post by bikeguy18974 »

my red 93 has the clear coat flaking off the mirrors, stock spoiler, and few small parts elsewhere. Expect the same.
Moc5Mazda

Post by Moc5Mazda »

My paint faded where the sun hits it alot. But I think it is a common thing.
mmac
Supporting Member

Post by mmac »

Mine is a 94 model and has suffered paint fade much the same as the other contributors to this thread,on the mirrors and the rear spoiler, but the rest of the paintwork comes up like new after polishing.It also suffers from minor stone chipping on the front bumper and the front of the hood
1994 MX-3 ZE
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

I also have a red MX-3. I think the bottom line is the the metal parts seem to last fine, but all the plastic parts fade. The mirrors fade really bad, I had to get mine completely repainted. The other plastic parts like my bumpers are starting to fade too. But all the metal parts still look real good.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
2.5mx3

Post by 2.5mx3 »

From another Blaze Red MX-3 owner:<p>I think the bottom line is that the red paint really needs to be cared for to last a long time. The roof of my car shows some slight oxidation when the wax washes off. But one coat of Mother's California Gold Wax/Cleaner makes it good as new. Of all the plastic parts, my side mirrors have faded the most, as most other owners can attest to.<p>So other than some paint chips, which is one of the weaknesses of the blaze red paint, my car still looks bright and shiny, and I still get many wide-eyed reactions when I tell people the car is 10 years old.
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Muzdog

Post by Muzdog »

How much would it cost US$$ to get the front and rear bumpers and mirrors sprayed? would this be somethin that maaco could do as they cant really mess it up can they? especially if i take the parts off the car and just leave them with em so they cant overspray or stuff like that??
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

I got two mirrors, two mudguards, and a spoiler painted for $225. The guy did a great job, and it was somebody that lives in my town, which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. So a small town type of guy. As far as Maaco goes, it's cheap. So expect a cheap paint job.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
mattster

Post by mattster »

mine is red. i heard that it doesn't have a clearcoat, but i don't know how valid that statement is. the plastic painted on mine is holding up (except the spoiler). the hood is a different story... very flakey.
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page

Return to “Appearance”