Cruise control operation

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
umbrau44

Cruise control operation

Post by umbrau44 »

I recently bought a 93 MX-3 GS. My question is about the cruise control. It exhibits behaviour that I feel is not correct. I can set the cruise normally and that works fine. However, if I have to disengage the cruise and slow down below 50 KM/H, the resume feature does not work. The cruise hasn't turned off, but it seems to forget the set speed. Is this normal behaviour for the MX-3 cruise?
'93 GS. Stock for now.
pipes

Re: Cruise control operation

Post by pipes »

I am not sure about the mx-3 in particular as I did not know they came with cruise.. however this is a common occurence with almost all cars I have driven with cruise control.
That is.. you can not activate the cruise below a certain speed.. once you accelerate past that speed.. usually is is around 45km/h the resume function will work again..
In short to answer you question, it sounds like your cruise is working exactly the way it is meant to..
Apparently it was a safety feature introduced as lazy people were using the resume function from standing starts at trafic lights.
umbrau44

Post by umbrau44 »

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. In every other vehicle I've driven with cruise, I could do the following: Use the cruise driving on the highway (110 km/h). Slow down (50 km/h) or stop(0 km/h) in a town (not turning car or cruise off, just using the brake to disengage). Accelerate above speed where cruise will engage. And then hit resume (at about 100 km/h) and go the same speed as before (110 km/h). However, my MX-3 figures I should set the speed again instead of just resuming if I happened to go slower than 50 km/h.

I realize it is a minor issue, but I would like to know if this is normal behaviour for the MX-3 cruise.
'93 GS. Stock for now.
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

didnt i read in the manual that the minimum speed to have cruise control set is like 30mph? so yea it would probably act really funny below that.. and about the "resume" button, i've found that pressing it doesnt do anything. ya gotta hold it as long as u want to just resume. kinda stupid but i guess u can coast a bit and then accelerate again. duno
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
pipes

Post by pipes »

Oh Sorry man, Then you are correct.. sounds like it is playing up.. they generally don't shut off under those conditions.. but as I said I don't have cruise in my mx-3.. anything is possible in these cars.. sorry I couldnt be more help, hope someone else knows
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

It is a little picky about resuming for some reason. I've found if yoou accelerate to close to the right speed then hold the resume button for a second or so it works.
Midnight.Son

Post by Midnight.Son »

I'm having this problem with mine too. Looking at the cruse control buttons in the housing shows that there is not enough room for the resume button to move properly to cause the contact to connect.

Basically big button, small hole.
1994 Mx-3 RS Automatic & 1993 MX-3 GS manual
umbrau44

Post by umbrau44 »

Well, my resume button does work. That is not a problem for me.
'93 GS. Stock for now.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

if you read the owners manual you'd know that the cruise control won't set below 25mph. Why it doesn't set at 50kmph is beyond me.

RTFM!!!
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
umbrau44

Post by umbrau44 »

I do not expect the cruise to work below 50 km/h, and I am well aware that it is not supposed to work under this speed. I was hoping to find out whether it was normal for the cruise on the MX-3 to lose its speed setting just by driving under 50 km/h because it is not for every other cruise that I have ever used.
'93 GS. Stock for now.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”