DO NOT BUY FIBERGLASS / CARBON FIBER HOOD

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
onderground

DO NOT BUY FIBERGLASS / CARBON FIBER HOOD

Post by onderground »

I want to show you the true about fiberfiber hood and aftermarket hood....<p>Lots of people asked us to customize this with onderground-design.com. But we told you a price of $1000 appprox... and we WERE right!! the price we told you is because we put many many layer for re-inforcement.<p>Here some picture of a guy in a solara, running 40mph on the main street and the hood decided to pop and break!<p>Image<p>
Image<p>
Image<p>
Image<p>
Image<p>This HOOD was manufactured by VIS racing. Aerogear is the same and also all other hood under $1000 is the same quality. I have heard of a guy with his acura, the hood popped and he lost control, and jump over a bridge and died....!<p>DONT LOOSE YOUR LIFE FOR STYLISH !!!<p>and dont buy that product<p>..... Oh... Im in flamE!<p>Eric Belec
www.onderground-design.com
514-773-7783
DVH

Re: DO NOT BUY FIBERGLASS / CARBON FIBER HOOD

Post by DVH »

ouch.........i never bought one cause i heard that over a period of time the clear coat or whatever it is that is over the carbon fiber will start to bubble and look like sh*t! If any of u have ever went to g force, maybe someone showed u the one there, a guy had one that bubbled cuz of the heat and it looked like ****.<p>Hope everyone that has got one is pleased though!
lates :D
Derek Van Horne MX-3.com Member # 33
94 MX-3 Silver Stone Metallic CAR is SOLD
Car Domain Web page MX-3
Car Domain Web page SRT-4
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Do you have a picture of the hood latch? Hoods just don't "pop". That is the reason why most manufacturer's hoods come with hood pins. This would have eliminated the problem. Of course a fiberglass/carbon fiber hood would do this. What happened was the latch was poorly constructed and it ripped up due to wind or the guy forgot to latch the hood shut and started driving. Just because your hoods are a grand doesn't mean that less expensive manufacturers can't do the job correctly. Use hood pins and you will never ever have a problem. Period.
P.S. When was the last time ANYONE saw a CF hood for $1,000??? Other than from Onderground. Sorry that I flamed your bumper a lil man but I was just being honest.<p>[ December 31, 2002: Message edited by: cjthor ]</p>
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

hey where did you get those pictures...thats my homie's toyota solara...his name's chris. the reason why that happened was because vis told him he didnt need hood pins, but then the latch and the ends broke and hit his windshield. i think the main reason is because vis told him he didnt need pins so he didnt put them on. we're currently trying to find out how to get vis to replace his hood/windshield because they said they aren't liable for any damages, yet thats a prototype hood. right now he's currently repainting the car.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by marshmallow15:
hey where did you get those pictures...thats my homie's toyota solara...his name's chris. the reason why that happened was because vis told him he didnt need hood pins, but then the latch and the ends broke and hit his windshield. i think the main reason is because vis told him he didnt need pins so he didnt put them on. we're currently trying to find out how to get vis to replace his hood/windshield because they said they aren't liable for any damages, yet thats a prototype hood. right now he's currently repainting the car.<hr></blockquote>
THANK YOU
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
I_love_my_MX-3

Post by I_love_my_MX-3 »

this post is sort of low. I know alot of people w/ cf hoods and theyre fine. i think if cf hoods were such a big safety hazzard youd hear alot more about how dangerous they are.
1992 MX-3 handed down to my sis :)
1992 MR-2 Turbo sold and missed :(
1995 Integra GS-R :)

Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

True dat. If they were that unsafe, there would be tonnes of warnings.. But I have seen nothing.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

The only reason this is here I am sure is due to me having a group buy that is 1/3 the price of their CF hoods.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

well the main point is that the cf hood is safe is you put hood pins on...the only reason why my homie's hood flew up like that was because he didnt want the look of pins on his solara...so dont stress onderground.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I have 2 things to say.<p>1: you don't need hood pins if the latch is constructed properly. It's kinda dificult to make a latch work well so that's why most use hood pins.<p>2: It looks as if the corners completely broke off the inside of that hood. Damn, if my hood fly's up in front of me while driving, I would definatly want it to break off. Hella better than having it sit there and block my view indefinatly. I think that's a damn good thing it broke off like it did.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

probably vis made a poorly-made hood....i mean that WAS the first prototype hood for the solara from a group buy.
- team slideways
maldo

Post by maldo »

A buddy of mine had his stock hood pop up at 110kph. Your friend with the Solara got away easy compared to the damage that my friend's stock hood caused. Basically brought the roof line down 4" in the front.
onderground

Post by onderground »

Cjthor: I dont want you to be affraid about your group buy..... our company is not interested in this type of project..!<p>But this main topic was just to show you the fact.. nothing more!
maldo

Post by maldo »

Eric,<p>Here is my off topic question to you. With the GB for the P5 front ends, what ever happened to you supplying mesh inserts as promised? And what ever came of the deal with the fog lights? The one that has been bugging me the most is "what took so long?", you were talking about mid October delivery and Oscar received them on Dec. 17th.<p>I think the answers to those 3 questions will have a real impact on what projects you do in the future.
:shrug:
onderground

Post by onderground »

Maldo:<p>when you start a project, you dont know how long it might take, you can incounter some problem, some hard shape to mold... a bad mold car be made, as a plug.... and we need to carefully remake a new mold to make sure customer receive a quality product. We NEVER talked about mesh grill, in any message, mesh grill for us is an non profit add-on, it take approx 1hr to install and cut and use body filler and chopped fiberglass putey to stick it, and charge approx 30$ per bumper... it really doenst worth the money when just the grill cost $20.... we make $10 for 1 hours of work. WE propose but we dont get a large sign outside the facility saying MESH GRILL FOR LOW BUCKS...! Its like the cashier at the grocery store who is always asking you for a lotery ticket... they make very low profit on this, and the customer get annoyed and quit with an bad feeling, like "What the .. if I want a ticket, ill ask it" ... So if you wanted mesh
grill you needed to ask, but we didnt offer<p>We are not manufacturer of fog light, these are 5" and you can find real mp5 fog at the dealership... we do not sell performance part, we design bumper! I tried to get a deal on those by a friend but they were too expensive, so each customer have the choice to put the fog light he want. We design bumper with 5" opening, aftermarket fog light are 3" 4" 5" 6". <p>the "what it take soo long" is my fault, first the shop made 2 kit, I went there to see the quality and I didnt like it... because it was the first mold. Some pin head everywhere and not enough thickness. So I asked the shop to scrap those 2 and remake a mold and remake 10 other bumper. So this process took 3 more weeks... Just to make sure you would receive a quality kit like I love them...!<p>You like your front bumper ??? I guess most of the customer here have snow in their parking, I doubt you got a import show ?.. So we take go - no go for the process to redo a new mold and I did the right thing!<p>Its really hard to get 100% satisfaction from internet customer.... we design a kit, we post picture of the developpement, the kit fit BOLT-ON, the kit is no crack, no defect, no bubble, 4 oz thick, premium quality..... and you still find some minor thing to blame.... how do you think we feel when we devote ourselves for a project like this, took 2 month to prepare and make..... do you realize that with all the material used, all puttey token to make the plug, the donor car using a spot in facility, we are close to 0 profit..... we devote our company for getting new stylish, new design, new product.... and get a good name that surf the web.... the name is important... even if we dont make profit..!<p>Im sure lots of people here a satisfied with our project.

Return to “Appearance”