HELP FAST, new piant probs

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Ryencool

HELP FAST, new piant probs

Post by Ryencool »

Well as some of you might have read my car was painted a littel over two weeks ago. I thought it looked bad and took it back but the guy convinced me I got a good deal for 2100$. Now my hood has 100's of littel dimples in it ( im guessing it wasnt cleaned right? and its dirt ) the paint is warping around my sunroof, paints chipped off the door, theres touch up paint applied in huge amounts in some spots..and it also looks liek theres only one coat of new paint..what shoudl i expect for 2100$? one coat of paint? and ****ty prep work? I have no idea cause I ve never gotten a car painted before..please help as im goin back to talk to him today, Id like to get some more knowledge on paint jobs before i leave<BR>thanks<P><BR> Image<p>[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Ryencool ]
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
tivo0131

Re: HELP FAST, new piant probs

Post by tivo0131 »

was it a costum job????? if so then you did get a deal, but even if you got a deal the paint shouldn't be chipping and stuff. Sounds like the guy did a half @$$ed job. If i were you i would take it back and demand a repaint or get your money back and go somewhere else. just my thoughts
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

For $2100 you should NOT have dimples, chipped paint and spots that have been obviously touched-up. I would demand that they fix it and if not then at least get a partial refund of AT LEAST half the cost. If you wanted a quicky paint job you could have taken it to Maaco and got an equally crappy job. Where did you get this paint job? If you don't have any luck trying to talk to them nicely, you should threaten to call the Better Business Bureau and post negatively on the Web about them. They're crazy if they're trying to tell you that what you got was worth $2100!!!<P>Ask them how much of the $2100 was for paint and materials and how much was for labor. At least half of the cost is for labor, and for that price you should expect decent work.<P>I'd at least go for a refund on the labor. That way they don't lose money on the materials. If you get them to do it over, the results will probably still suck.
littlemantke

Post by littlemantke »

put it this way I can get a full paint job with a life time warranty for about 1800 dollars and thats not just staying with the original color either you got jipped and you need to get your monry back!!!!!!!!!!
Hondas are for people who don't want to be unique!!!!!
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

just called him...the owner..he tolled me they did 300$ worth of work on the bumper to get it paint ready for free, I was never tolled about this. They tolled me my roof and hatch werent in the insurance estimate, but I gave them 600 on top of the 1300$. He said it was 800$ worth of paint, but it looks like one coat and that would leave 1300$ for labor at 40$/hour thats over 35hrs labor which I doubt was put inot my car..He said im gonnah ave to pay for the roof and hatch to be rapainted, I toleld him even thought it wasnt in the estimate i was tolled it was going to be painted and that when it wasnt they should have tolled me so....we will see where it goes, thanks guys
92 red rs
performance exhaust

Post by Guest »

hey this is gonna sound wierd but i was just gonna hop in shower and was thinking of your post, and remembered that someone told me your not supposed to get the paint job wet for like a couple weeks or something till the paint cures, im not sure if thats just for cheaper jobs or what but since your car is wet in the pic that could have something to do with it, hope that helps, thanks man, i wouldnt say that to them cause they might try and blame you, so if they ask maybe you should say it hasnt touched water" :) later man
bout2001

Post by bout2001 »

look what i got for 2100$US. He installed my bodykit and painted the car chameleon. I have 1 primer coat, 3 black coat, 2 chameleon coat and 3 clear coat. He has also replaced the rocker panel on the driver side and fixed a few other things.<BR> <BR> Image
chameleon paint, g-force kit, black and blue vinyl interior
web site :http://pages.infinit.net/mx3/
tivo0131

Post by tivo0131 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mx-3 Quebec:<BR><STRONG>look what i got for 2100$US. He installed my bodykit and painted the car chameleon. I have 1 primer coat, 3 black coat, 2 chameleon coat and 3 clear coat. He has also replaced the rocker panel on the driver side and fixed a few other things.<BR> <BR> Image </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Where'd you get that done?? did you have a hook up? thats wicked cheap for a custom job like that sounds like you got a deal your car looks great
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

thanks for making me feel even worse :(
92 red rs
performance exhaust
C-MX-DA3

Post by C-MX-DA3 »

I HAVING MY CAR PAINTED FOR $2500, THE SHOP IS DOING A HEAD LIGHT CONVERSION, SOME BODY WORK,SHAVING MY ANTENNA, AND MOLDING THE WHOLE KIT FOR THAT PRICE. SO YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY GO BACK TO THAT BODY SHOP AND HAVE THEM REDO THE WHOLE CAR, IM SURE YOU SIGN SOME KIND OF PAPER SAYING YOU HAVE WARRANTY ON THE PAINT.
nksmx-3

Post by nksmx-3 »

i recently had my car painted and it only cot me 450$US and it is perfect there is only one small imperfection right neer the license plate but that is it.they totaly stripped the car because it was chipping in alot of areas primered and 3 coats of paint and a few clear coats, so for your paint job i would definantly get a total refund, sorry it happend to you bro. lol :p
late night conversations turn into a fight, and all the years youve been frustrated finaly subside, and you walk away, to face the day, alone.
MX30wner

Post by MX30wner »

DO NOT use any kind of silicone based product ANYWHERE near your car before it's painted. This includes your garage, detailing shops, etc. Silicone products like Armoral get airborne and sit beneath the paint, and bubble up through before it hardens. My father owns a paint shop, and I've seen it happen way too many times. People take their cars to get detailed before having a hood or bumper painted - it totally screws the whole thing. It even happened to me, and then Dad got chewed out by the head autobody manager because he took the car to get cleaned up at a place where they use silicone! It totally blew a 2000 dollar job. Be careful.<p>[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: MX30wner ]
Teal '92 V6 MX-3 Precidia - w00t!
xxxxxroninxxxxx

Post by xxxxxroninxxxxx »

i dont know where you guys are going to get such cheap paint jobs, but having worked in a custom body shop and doing many custom paint jobs,kits,and conversions i know that there is no way that you gus are getting full custom paint jobs for 450 -2500 dollars w/o having some kind of hook up on the inside and i dont think it right or fair for you to come on here and mislead people into thinking that they can run out and get the same thing at the same price,and as far as silicone products messing up paint jobs, this is all true, but if you do the proper prep work then this shouldnt even be a factor whether you had your car detailed before or not. too many bodyshops think they can do custom jobs and body kits and wind up screwing up some poor guys car,you should always shop around and ask if they have done this type of work before, and it doesnt matter how many coats of primer,paint,and clear that you use on a car, if you dont do the proper prep work, and SAND, sanding between coats of everything is very important, even the clear coat, so much money just in materials goes into a full paint job, this is why i dispute everyones so called deals, be careful and remember you get what you paid for
<A HREF="http://www.RONINMOTORSPORTS.com" TARGET=_blank>www.RONINMOTORSPORTS.com</A>
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

well I didnt get what I paid for and it sucks...thanks ronnin again for iming me. The guy says theres 800$ worth of paint on my car, however where it chipped off it looks like one coat, and the roof and hatch where painted so thin the old red shows through in the light making it lighter than the rest of the car. How can I tell how many coats were put on?...threr was a chip on my front bumper, all oem paint came off down to plastic. When I look at it, it still looks like the just sprayed over with red paint...thansk again guys and more good information would be great
92 red rs
performance exhaust
your2slow

Post by your2slow »

My Girlfriends Father does customer Paint jobs which includes shaving off the rust and paching it up, applying body kits and he hads i beleive 2 or 3 coats. For everything he chargas about 1400 Dollars Canadian. He owns his own shop in Westlorine Ontario (about 25 mins west of London). So Not sure if that helps with Price's. And people that have got there cars done from him are all satisfied customer's and have not complained. He fixed up my girlfriends car (his daughter) and it look sweet. .
KL-ZE, Custom Intake, Apex Lowering Springs, and more to come this year.

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site

Return to “Appearance”