fiberglass hood

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
marshmallow15

fiberglass hood

Post by marshmallow15 »

do you guys think a fiberglass hood is a good route to go instead of a custom cf hood? down at my place a fg hood will only cost $50. will it be lighter than stock and how much lighter do you think? plus i can have my inverted scoop and louvers molded in during the process and have the hood held down by pins.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: fiberglass hood

Post by Custommx3 »

What about gettign a custom FG hood made with the scoops in it made<BR>hell for 50 bucks I'd buy 1.
I_love_my_MX-3

Post by I_love_my_MX-3 »

damn $50 thats a deal right there.
1992 MX-3 handed down to my sis :)
1992 MR-2 Turbo sold and missed :(
1995 Integra GS-R :)

nicolasbeique

Post by nicolasbeique »

$50!!! i want one!!! i would go for it man! especially if he can make an inverted hood scoop!<P>think he will make more then one and ship them?
<A HREF="http://www.spheregraphics.com/" TARGET=_blank>Image</A>
Tman

Post by Tman »

do i hear a group buy? Id buy one! any scoop works for me.
R.I.P. September 25th @ 2:55 p.m. - 93 Mx-3 RS :-(
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

sorry for the misunderstanding guys, but i meant im getting one made at a local body shop and was wondering if it will be lighter than stock oem weight. i COULD have more than one made, but shipping them out will be a pain. plus i dont think the body shop will allow me to have more than one made and have them distributed to other people because doing something like that is illegal without having a license or company custom make them.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

how do you think FX designs makes them? All aftermarket companies take a mold of the OEM, modify it, make another mold and wallah! a mass production mold.<BR>You dont need a license to do that.<BR>Would be cool though! 50 bucks for a hood hehe.<p>[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

hmmm....maybe ill look into a group buy for that after i lower my mx3. thats my next mod...then exterior work.
- team slideways
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG>do you guys think a fiberglass hood is a good route to go instead of a custom cf hood? down at my place a fg hood will only cost $50. will it be lighter than stock and how much lighter do you think? plus i can have my inverted scoop and louvers molded in during the process and have the hood held down by pins.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hell the fiberglass hood will be ealily 20-30 times lighter than the OEM steel hood. You said you've handled a CF hood, double that weight and you got aprox. the weight of a fiberglass hood. Make sure you got some sort of insulation underneath it so the fiberglass doesn't burn. I think JCWhitney.com, Jegs.com, and SummitRacing.com, sell some lightweight insulation for racing aps, but I'm not positive. <P>BTW, I thought you said you had a mold for a cf hood. Just use that and put FG on it instead. Not hard to mold in the louvres to scoops, just put them on the mold before you lay down your FG sheet.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

yea i do have a rubber mold of my hood, but its soo flexible that its hard to get a definite mx3 hood shape because its soo hard to work with.
- team slideways

Return to “Appearance”