carbon fiber hood ( seriously)

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
jonathanj

carbon fiber hood ( seriously)

Post by jonathanj »

I am going to be making a cf hood for the mx3, and sell them. But first i need a hood. Can someone please help. I already did the dash in cf so i know how to work with it. And i also know how to make a mold. So all i need is a hood. I would use mine but it takes a week to make a mold and let it dry. Its my only car as well. there is a picture of my dash here. I dont know how to post it. <A HREF="http://www.speedoptions.com/events/812/index.php?pg=2" TARGET=_blank>http://www.speedoptions.com/events/812/ ... hp?pg=2</A>
jonathanj

Re: carbon fiber hood ( seriously)

Post by jonathanj »

its on page 3 on the third row.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jademx3turbo:<BR><STRONG>I am going to be making a cf hood for the mx3, and sell them. But first i need a hood. Can someone please help. I already did the dash in cf so i know how to work with it. And i also know how to make a mold. So all i need is a hood. I would use mine but it takes a week to make a mold and let it dry. Its my only car as well. there is a picture of my dash here. I dont know how to post it. <A HREF="http://www.speedoptions.com/events/812/index.php?pg=2" TARGET=_blank>http://www.speedoptions.com/events/812/ ... TE><P>Dash looks good bro. Keep posted the status. I was origionally gunna make my own this summer but my finances wouldn't allow it. I may opt to make it a winter project, along with my KLZE. But if not let me know how much you're willing to sell them for. Maybe I'll buy from you instead.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Mean_Machine

Post by Mean_Machine »

That dash looks really awesome if ur ever are gonna start sellin those e-mail me j_zabos@yahoo.com thanks alot and good luck with the hood
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

i would be interested in the hood if you start selling them. good luck.
fictionaldaydream

Post by fictionaldaydream »

Yeah if you can start selling custom dash trims email me. I like it looks all gloss and shiny. :D
jonathanj

Post by jonathanj »

thanks for the compliments. i have the carbon fiber long and wide enough for the hood, now all i need is a hood to make the mold.
LoXOnline

Post by LoXOnline »

This might be a stupid question, but how do you make the mold and how do you make (or where do you buy) thecarbon fiber and how do you make the item you want. I just want a general idea just for future referance when I buy some stuff I want to know if it is worth my money!<P>Thanx
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Dude, if I had the time I'd hand deliver my hood to you (does Florida allow cars to drive without a hood, I think virginia does). This is a call out to anyone in Florida, LEND HIM YOUR F'n HOOD. It's going to a good cause, carbon fibre would be so sweet on about any color MX-3. And Jade, I commend your work on the dash. One word... Sweetness.<P>I just thought, how long does it take you to make the mold? I have like a week or so off work.<p>[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Hy300 ]
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hy300:<BR><STRONG>Dude, if I had the time I'd hand deliver my hood to you (does Florida allow cars to drive without a hood, I think virginia does). This is a call out to anyone in Florida, LEND HIM YOUR F'n HOOD. It's going to a good cause, carbon fibre would be so sweet on about any color MX-3. And Jade, I commend your work on the dash. One word... Sweetness.<P>I just thought, how long does it take you to make the mold? I have like a week or so off work.<P>[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Hy300 ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>First comment. PLEASE DON'T PUT A CARBON FIBER HOOD ON UNLESS IT'S A BLACK CAR!!!!!. I think that when you put a CF hood on a diff. color car it looks RICE! Just get a fiberglass hood. Easily paintable and still almost as light as a CF. <P>Whew! OK with that off my chest... The mold is VERY easy to make. All you do is take a piece of fiberglass, throw it over the existing hood, slather on some hardening compound, and viola! A hood mold. It shouldn't take more than about 2-3 days for it to cure enuff to remove the hood, may even take less time than that. To make the actual hood, you would put a layer of CF inside the mold, let it cure, put a layer of fiberglass mat, let it cure, then a layer of fiberglass cloth. Let it cure. The next part is the tricky part. You have to do that with the underhood supports as well. then bond them together. It's a little more intricate and precise than that, but that is like a quick over view. The problem with CF (an I think that Jade will agree) is that it is a b---- to control. Any little mistake shows very well. The whole hood (depending on where you get your materials) should only cost between $100-150. But it takes a long time to construct them. I'd figure almost a week per hood or more.<P>If you want to read more about CF hood fabrication, there was an article "how-to" in Super Street a while back. Maybe get on their site and search, or maybe write them a letter asking for the back issue. But Jade, post pix when yur done. If the price is right, I'll buy one if they look quality.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Jade, e-mail me at HY300T@hotmail.com.
I_love_my_MX-3

Post by I_love_my_MX-3 »

carbon fiber looks good on any color not just black. The contrast is what makes it look so bad a--.
1992 MX-3 handed down to my sis :)
1992 MR-2 Turbo sold and missed :(
1995 Integra GS-R :)

curtklze

Post by curtklze »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>To make the actual hood, you would put a layer of CF inside the mold, let it cure, put a layer of fiberglass mat, let it cure, then a layer of fiberglass cloth. Let it cure. The next part is the tricky part. You have to do that with the underhood supports as well. then bond them together. .</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Actually what is described here is how you make a fiberglass hood with an outside layer of carbon fiber.<P>REAL carbon fiber parts are made with special high strenght molds, then you layer in special carbon fiber and carbon fiber backing in at a 45 degree angle to each other applying a special resin at each step.<P>Then you put it in an autoclave(big oven that can be pressureized) and bake it under lots of pressure so that all the layers bond to each other and there is no air in it.<P>then when it comes out you have a super lightweight part that is very strong.<P>That is how you make real carbon fiber parts<BR>not just fiber glass parts that have an outter sheet of carbon fiber.<P>You can paint carbon fiber parts just like you paint fiber glass parts. but if you baught a cheap hybred carbon glass hood that isn't realy that much lighter then fiber glass you probably want it so you can show it off as carbon fiber.<P>but if you baught a REAL carbon fiber hood then you are probably buying it for the weight savings and I say paint it to match so nobody knows. :D
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I_love_my_MX-3:<BR><STRONG>carbon fiber looks good on any color not just black. The contrast is what makes it look so bad a--.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I must disagree. I think that ALL carbon fiber used in appearance is rice tho. If it doesn't serve an actual purpose, then I don't like it. Although everyone has their own oppinions and I simply stated mine. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by curtklze:<BR><STRONG>Actually what is described here is how you make a fiberglass hood with an outside layer of carbon fiber.<P>REAL carbon fiber parts are made with special high strenght molds, then you layer in special carbon fiber and carbon fiber backing in at a 45 degree angle to each other applying a special resin at each step.<P>Then you put it in an autoclave(big oven that can be pressureized) and bake it under lots of pressure so that all the layers bond to each other and there is no air in it.<P>then when it comes out you have a super lightweight part that is very strong.<P>That is how you make real carbon fiber parts<BR>not just fiber glass parts that have an outter sheet of carbon fiber.<P>You can paint carbon fiber parts just like you paint fiber glass parts. but if you baught a cheap hybred carbon glass hood that isn't realy that much lighter then fiber glass you probably want it so you can show it off as carbon fiber.<P>but if you baught a REAL carbon fiber hood then you are probably buying it for the weight savings and I say paint it to match so nobody knows. <http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/biggrin.gif ... >Basically I was just explaining how a do-it-yourselfer would go thru the process. It's hard to get those presurised ovens for your home. ;) <P>The only difference is the CF is only about half the weight of fiberglass, but the fiberglass is like 20 times lighter than the steel hoods. Either is good for weight reduction. <P>Also, I havn't actually had any experience to confirm this, but I was told by a few sources that painting the carbon fiber was a bad idea because the CF absorbs heat which can bubble and actually burn the paint. The uses are not only for weight reduction and looks, but also it keeps the engine bay cooler. Like I said, I have no experince with that, but have heard it from more than one source.<p>[ August 13, 2002: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
jonathanj

Post by jonathanj »

whats up every one. i still have not had any one come through. I have checked all junkyards with in a 75 mile radius and nothing. Im getting a little frustrated. But patients will conquer all. Besides im not the only one who wants a carbon fiber hood.

Return to “Appearance”