manual transmission questions

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
exogen

manual transmission questions

Post by exogen »

hey guys. i just got my 95 mx-3 about a week ago, and it's a manual tranny (thanks to a lot of begging of my parents on my part) :) thing is, though, i'm only somewhat experienced in driving manuals and would like to know fully how exactly to drive it such that i'll minimize problems with the wear and tear on the transmission, etc.

my house has a slanted driveway, and while i can roll off it in N quite effectively, but to get back up requires me to move very very slowly, creeping forward to enter it so i dont hit my car's underside. so first i'd ask.. what should i do to make it up my driveway and not send the car choking and lurching forward up and down it instead :)

get back to me please

~G
papa roached

Re: manual transmission questions

Post by papa roached »

going in just slow and make quick use of clutch and brake, slipping the clutch is good to start off or creep along, but dont do it to long because it can wear the clutch fast
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Dont worry about heal toe until youve learnt to drive it. Then worry about the more advanced FUN stuff :D . Though big feet in our cars makes it kinda hard. For me its more of a "right of foot" "left of foot" instead of heal toe :p . Oh and dont coast for long periods of time with the clutch down, it will wear out your throw out bearing. If for some reason your gona coast just slip it into neutral.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
exogen

Post by exogen »

k :) thanks to all the advice... and yeah i'll be sure to leave off holding the pedal down much

any other insight anyone?

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”