need help painting interior

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
G-C

need help painting interior

Post by G-C »

well as the topic goes, i'm going to start painting. thing is i need some help on how to get about doing it. like do i HAVE TO sand down the parts first or can i just start painting on top? the parts i'm painting are those hard plastic part (ie center console and speaker covers). and should i put a clear coat on top or is the paint alone alright? things like that, etc...<p>[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: G-C ]
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS
mazda20

Re: need help painting interior

Post by mazda20 »

I have heard that sanding is a good idea, but mine come out okay and I did not sand. All I did was make sure that any oil or wax left on the plastic was removed first then I primed and painted. A secret I learned alont time ago was that to do this on a hot sunny dry day with no wind or paint in a ventilated inside room and use a floor heater to heat the plastic up a little before starting. This helps it to stick really quickly without running. If you have not choose a color yet I saw a really good look that Dupli-Color Mirage came out with that would be awesome.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

sanding down the pieces is not necessary, but helps gives a better, smoother look and gives you less trouble. it's important to degrease or clean the pieces with alcohol from dirt because if you just use the primer, paint, and clearcoat, then it'll bubble up and mess up almost the entire piece since the colors won't match. it's important to use primer. don't use the paint right away. you need primer to have the paint stick on. then at least 5-8 light coats of paint...then at least 2-3 coats of clearcoat. clearcoat is important as well.<P>tip from experience: if you plan on using spraypaint in a cannister, make sure you have ENOUGH because those things run out FAST. go for the $5 bottles at pepboys rather than the $4. you get more paint for an extra dollar. i used plastikote and i'm still working on my interior. i have more stuff to paint in the rear and some reupholstering to match. you have to be DETERMINED in this project to finish it.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Swego

Post by Swego »

Marshmallow15 is right, paint runs out of a can fast. I was able to paint 2 layers of clear over all those plastic parts with 1 regular size can. The clear I used had the following instructions: apply 2nd layer within 1 hour of the last application or wait 5 days for clear to crystalize. Unless you plan on dissassembling your console again in 5 days, better have extra cans handy. :D

Return to “Appearance”