Custom Grill

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
canadian_ice

Custom Grill

Post by canadian_ice »

Has anyone done a custom grill on a stock mx-3 front bumper?<P>I'm planning on doing one soon and wanted some feedback.<P>Thanks!!!
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Custom Grill

Post by monty73741 »

i made one......kinda like a cafe style grill<BR>first thing i did was get a some gutter screen from home depot..(its in building supplies) then with some parchment paper(gotta love being a chef) or some other type of paper by taping it to the front bumper and tracing out a templete...then just transfer that to card board or poster board <BR>and finally cut out your templet with tin snips...<P><BR>i also thought your could make your templete out of wood them bend some steel wire around it then tack weld togther and attach the grill screen<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I've done it. As soon as I can find my digital camera, I will post pix of it. I painted mine black on my teal MX becux the plastic mesh above is black. Looks hella nice, but I think that the aluminum look would have been a better look.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
mr.hunt

Post by mr.hunt »

I would love to some pics of these good imprivsing.<P>The other thing you could do is Ihad a friend here at work us on his honda( no I didn't say it out loud just pretend that word or car is not on this post he he ) anyhow yeah we had some expanded polished metal here for a job and basiclly made a template and cut with tin snipes. <P>I would for the most part stay away from a cutting torch or welding it do to the fact of the light weight metal you might if you are not carefull put "globbs" on it or slag it to much that you losse the good looks. the snips keep it clean. hope this helps just take your time man and have fun working on it. Peace<P>Mike :D
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

How do you actually attach it to the front bumper?<P>Vizual - thanks for taking pics.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i just took a washer and a small screw and screwed it on the front bumber things in the middle<BR>or<BR>you could install some small L brackets then bolt the sucker on<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

monty - thanks. any chance u could take some pics? :D
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

Hey people,<BR>Well i did it i put the gutter grill in to but all i did was well for the top hole was cut the mesh to the sise then just put it up to the and bent it like tabs then i glued iw with a two part poxy.then i took the bottom hole and cut out that bar but as many may know that bar is hollow so once you cut it you are stuck with two holes in the sides of the hole so i had a body shop fill the hole and paint it then i did the same thing with the mesh as i did with the top hole.this probly sound's confusing but i cant explain better than that see pics. Image Image
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

cant get pic to work if you want to see email me and i'll send
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Can you email it to me?<P>mike_self18@hotmail.com<P>Thanks.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by canadian_ice:<BR><STRONG>How do you actually attach it to the front bumper?<P>Vizual - thanks for taking pics.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I used a metal lathe (kinda like the gutter grill) I bought it at Home Depot for $3.00 for a 3'x8' sheet of it. What I did, is made a template, cut it out with little flaps sticking out on top, sides and bottom, and used those to screw it to the bumper (I admit, I should have used washers too). I will see if I can get a good pic of a flap I used as well.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

hey monty - on that pic, what's all the stuff behind your grill?<P>Do you drive an RS or GS?<P>Do you have a pic thats further away of the front?<P>Thanks!!!!
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Image <BR> Image <BR> Image<p>[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Vizual - What'd you do to your front lip add-on piece?
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by canadian_ice:<BR><STRONG>Vizual - What'd you do to your front lip add-on piece?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What are you talking about?
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage

Return to “Appearance”