has anyone done a tail light conversion?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MrsOzx

has anyone done a tail light conversion?

Post by MrsOzx »

I want to do a tail light conversion. I want the tail lights (well the rear pannel) off the skyline. Is this a possible conversion with the mx-3? With some cutting and moulding?
MrsOzx<p>buh-bye........
Giavonni Perelli
justin h

Re: has anyone done a tail light conversion?

Post by justin h »

Anything is possible with the right amount of money. It looks like the shape of the actual tailight would fit pretty well. Do you just want the tailights or the whole rear end? From what model (R32,33,34)? I imagine the earlier model tailights would be easier because they're slimmer, but they won't look as good. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I am currently making me some custom ones out of lexan.<P>This is the idea<BR><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com/~barry/Idea.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.barrykclark.com/~barry/Idea.jpg</A><BR>The black will be the clear portion, the red is LED's, and the white will be painted the cars color.<P>The round portion will bulge out like a dome.<BR>Here is a few pics of some of the lenses and the test pieces.<P><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com/~barry/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.barrykclark.com/~barry/</A>
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

hey barry those pic look sweet....just one question how did you get the lexan to bubble like that ive been trying to get it to do that for awhile but nothing ever works....
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

well, I had to build a machine to do it. Its very hard to explain, I'll have to take pics. It took 3 people to do that.
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custommx3:<BR><STRONG>well, I had to build a machine to do it. Its very hard to explain, I'll have to take pics. It took 3 people to do that.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>like a press?
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
MrsOzx

Post by MrsOzx »

Well I want the whole pannel if it is possible to do with the hatch. I immagine I can though like I said.. With alot of cutting and moulding. We did it to the Lude before its untimley death :roll: And we took the whole pannel for that. I really liked the way it looked.. So I want to do it to the mx as well. Funny cause we took off all the emblums and probably over a dozen people stopped us and asked what kind of car it was... I dont think it changed it that much.. But you know you always have to wonder about some people :roll:
MrsOzx<p>buh-bye........
Giavonni Perelli
MrsOzx

Post by MrsOzx »

Nice pics Barry, Where did you get the material for it?
MrsOzx<p>buh-bye........
Giavonni Perelli
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

My friend Brian, he has a neighbor whos company makes lucite, they were maketing itwith the lucite but it didnt turn out. He took the Lexan home and Brian got it from him. <BR>{THANKS BRIAN}
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marlon:<BR><STRONG><BR>like a press?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yea sorta. Im hesitant to tell how I made them honestly, I want them to be original, or I may market them if they turn out well.<p>[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

are u gonna cut the OEM taillights and glue on the cover.........<P>or just cover the stock<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

hey barry if mine dont turn out and yours do if you decide to start making more then ill buy a set
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monty73741:<BR><STRONG>are u gonna cut the OEM taillights and glue on the cover.........<P>or just cover the stock<BR>jason</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Im removing the stock one.. its glued on.. it will come apart with heat.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Problem I encountered today were the LEDs.<BR>Since the mx-3's light bulbs come from underneath not directly behind, you wont be able to use the direct socketedd to LED approach.<BR><A HREF="http://www.shopserv3.com/Merchant2/merc ... y_Code=LED" TARGET=_blank>LED"S I will have to use</A><P>These are what I will ned to use, but look, $120 for 4 of them! These are looking to get expensive, selling them may not be an option cause they could get pricey for most.<p>[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]
Redline

Post by Redline »

why do something instead of the Skyline its been a lot on civics and such. If you are going to spend money on getting the whole back end fabricated why not go for the RX-7 93+ tailights (I think only the type RZ and the Rspec came with the ones I am talking about, all black til they light up?)? Supra 93+? just an idea...but the R33 lights would look pretty cool if you could find enough room... :)

Return to “Appearance”