WINDOWS FOGGING UP!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93mx3v6

WINDOWS FOGGING UP!!

Post by 93mx3v6 »

alright guys, im not sure if this is a ME problem or a general mx3 problem..

when its cold outside or raining or damp etc the windows always fog up... which is normal if you dont have the heat on... but if i wake up on a rainy morning and start the car, blast the heat and rear defog, the windows are clear when i get in, after 5 or 10 minutes of driving the side windows are always fogged up.. except for a small window int he fog cause the side vents help a little... the rear window stays unfogged when the rear defog is on (the light in the button doesnt work which is annoying) and the top 3 wires dont work, (any help on how to fix those woudl be nice too)... but basically, with the heat on full blast, all on defog windows setting, should they realyl fog up so easily?? any suggestions?
Ateana

Re: WINDOWS FOGGING UP!!

Post by Ateana »

depending on the year of your car i would be very careful with that rear defog. you are only suppossed to leave it on for like 10 minues max or else it will burn out the relay. mine is toast.
Management is not responsible for lost or stolen virginities.

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
Baker

Post by Baker »

If you haven't tried already, use the fresh air setting, not recirculate. You'd be surprised how much humidity your breath can create.
93mx3v6

Post by 93mx3v6 »

yeah, tried that... it doesnt make any difference... the only thing i can do to stop it is keep my sunroof open a crack... but i cant be doin that in the winter, it will prolly be frozen shut, and i cant do it when its raining hard either..., also my car is a 1993...
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

I use windex auto on my glass, both inside and out. It has stopped it from fogging up nearly as much as it did.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

You have quite likely got a very small leak in the heater matrix, so coolant is being added to the air. It only takes a small amount to fog things up.

You can buy a small bottle of conductive paint made specifically to repair breaks in the heating element on the rear window.

[Its not true about only running the rear window heater for 10 minutes. Mine has run for hours at a time and is fine]
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
TekPmp

Post by TekPmp »

I had the same problem with my rear defogger when i first bought my MX-3. Under the driver side dash above the brake pedal there should be a harness with a small black cube (relay) ...when you press your rear defogger button that black cube should make a small click sound. If it does not then most likely the relay is worn out. Its a standard size relay so you can get a replacement for less than $5.00 US at most auto parts stores :shrug:
Black 94 RS, Erebuni MS style front, OEM sideskirts, Clear signals, altezza tails, 93 seats, Civic projectors
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

My rear defoger turns itself on after 15 minutes of continous use I believe. As for the foggin..you may have dirty widnwos tru the inside and also maybe your vents are open. Also..is your heater working right? are the levers where they are supposed to be? Mi windows clear up quite nicely. I only use the rear defoger for when ice is there. After it melts away theres no fog.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

my gs has rear defog and it turns itself off as it defogs rear window, neat feauture, nice car for '93, theres no other car for price you can find that has as many feautures and looks as good
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

The front defrost system stinks on the MX3. Quickest way to defrost the front is to put on outside air, heat on high and the trick is to turn on the A/C. This will put the driest air on the windshield, if you ever noticed when a car is on defrost the A/C compressor cycles every 30 seconds or so.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

Mine does the same thing could be my weather seals being all screwed up but i have seen it tho its eather fog up or be cooked..
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
andy

Post by andy »

As someone already mentioned, the trick is to run the A/C at the same time. hopefully yours is still working.
Andy P. 93 GS
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Turn the A/C on.....problem solved
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
bubba_03

Post by bubba_03 »

Gros right turn on the A/C and dont breath so hard :laugh:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

i just set my vents to fresh air and i've never has that problem, but on re-circulate, she fogs up really quick. If neither work, i would just hold my breath :D
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”