DO THIS if your car floods out

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

DO THIS if your car floods out

Post by hgallegos915 »

Today my car flooded out and would not start, I dont know why it did it but well it did it. I was cranking and cranking and no go, checked and there was a spark, I had half a tank. Almost gave out when i remembered a trick I used to do in the old TBI carb cars. You simply remove the ENGINE fuse, crank it over with the fuse off, then turn off, insert the fuse again and crank up...that fuse cuts the fuel to the car so when it floods it stops feeding it fuel and its able to burn exces fuel when you re isnal it. Basically, if the car smells alot of gas, try this before calling a tow truck or leaving it stranded.

1. remove the fuse labeled as engine
crank the engine a bit
3. re install engine fuse
4. crank the engine again

this should help.

pretty strange...its worked everytime i try it.
Iw as about to leave my car there :/ maybe this can helo any fellow k8 owners.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: DO THIS if your car floods out

Post by mitmaks »

this should help when engine is flooded, great idea
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Keeping the gas pedal floored while turning it over will help even more. It will allow more air thorugh the motor and help carry away the gas.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

if you want to prevent flooding rev the car to 4000 rpms and turn the car off.
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

How are you guys flooding a fuel injectecd engine?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by mx3man83:
How are you guys flooding a fuel injectecd engine?
No-one seems to know how it happens, but Mazda were aware it does.

Although they (understandably) do not publish instructions on how to cause it, they have, as TsiMiata says, provided a fix.

It's called the Dechoke Control System (read up on Page F2-134). Basically, it cuts fuel injection without having to mess with fuses, just by keeping the accelerator floored, which is exactly what you do with carburettor engines.

<small>[ November 18, 2004, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm it did it again today...after work, stareted right up using the fuse trick. It usually floods when i have the gas pedal all the way floored. It cranked right over :) So to prevent plooding i just rev the car up to 4000 rpms and then shut it off and it shouldnt flood when i restart it?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

Those are the instructions i recieved from Mazda. This works really well for rotary engines as well.
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

i tried it and it was a no go that suvks for me :/ at least i can get it running with the fuse trick, Im thinking of placing a switch there for when this happens.
-hec

g3939

Post by g3939 »

my thermostat was bad last year andafter the engine died i couldn't start the car unless I floored it, thats a good idea
harold stephens
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm could it be that I have a bad sensor? Im assuming if my thermostats was bad..the car would overcool? or just over heat? Thats happened to me with other cars when the termostat dies. That flooding is getting super annoying..it did it today again..Im getting sick of it and the only code ecu trows is tps :| and its been checked and its good. argh..
-hec

Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

I had to do this when i was using the K8 ecu on my KF, 'cept i pulled the fuel inj fuse (makes sense yeah?)
Apparently our cars dump heaps of gas at low revs
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
corbanbrook

Post by corbanbrook »

These are great tips.. Will ease my nerves when driving my 92 MX-3.

Does anyone know if flooring the gas peddle before starting the car works on a 92 4 cyl?

I stalled my car this morning at some red lights and had to push the car off to the side of the road and wait 20 mins for it to unflood.

wish i knew this then.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

you can also try pulling the fuel fuse, it will cut off the fuel pump and let you try and burn the fuel in the system.

BUT WOT as mentioned above should work too.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

corbanbrook wrote:Does anyone know if flooring the gas peddle before starting the car works on a 92 4 cyl?
Putting the gas pedal to the floor and keeping it there while you crank it over again should work on any engine that may be satuated.
corbanbrook wrote: I stalled my car this morning at some red lights and had to push the car off to the side of the road and wait 20 mins for it to unflood.
This may be an early reminder that some sort of tune-up is required. Should never flood if everything is in a reasonable state of tune. Plugs, wires, disty rotor, disty cap/contacts, air filter, fuel filter, injector cleaner etc.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”