Distributer problem.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fry_81

Distributer problem.

Post by fry_81 »

As we all know the distributers are infamous for breaking on these cars. Now what i was wondering was, do i need to buy a whole new disty? or can i just go out and buy a new cap and rotor? which would save alot of money if it fixes the problem.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: Distributer problem.

Post by IanL »

Impossible to answer, as it depends on the problem. If you have no spark at all, and you can't see any damage or deterioration on the rotor and cap, it's more likely to be igniter or coil.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Cap and rotor are regular maintenance items. They're likely to cause misfiring if not replaced at least every 24K miles. The common item, though, is typically the ignitor, which is internal in our distys. Best fix IMO is a lifetime warranty unit from Autozone. Inevitible it's going to break again anyways. Might as well be able to replace it for free when it does go again.
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

or you could just go with a full msd ignition. its not that hard or expensive.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

thanks guys.
i didnt realize that MSD made a distributer for the mx3. ill have to check that out. thanks.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Your sig says 94 gs. I thought the POS distys were in the 92 and 93 models and the problem was fixed for the 94 and up models? The 94 and up use different distributors, different part number for sure

<small>[ November 02, 2004, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: mxmaz ]</small>
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

that could be when the pos ones were around, im not sure exactly, unfortunatly mines broken :confused:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

u msd doesnt make a disty for this car.i believe..i would have bought it already with msd being located in my town//anywho um I think he meant msd system being coil and module and wires. also um so the igniter an coil are different things?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

follow the stickied how-to if you want to permenantly fix your disty & make your car reliable again.

Its a better alternative to buying a $160 autozone distributor with a lifetime warranty that will fail on you every other month :(
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by hgallegos915:
....also um so the igniter an coil are different things?
The igniter is a transistor which gates current to the coil primary, like the contact breaker used to do in old-design systems. The coil does what it has always done.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”