V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
spano

In your opinion, what is the best

Post by spano »

performance upgrade to go through with, with a stock 1992 v6 mx-3 gs
Juans_93_MX3

Re: In your opinion, what is the best

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Swap the engine for a 2.5L KLZE. The stock engine in our GS MX3s have no aftermarket support (except for a small few things).
Why the KLZE? Most people with MX3s seem to like that engine for some reason (dont know why).

If it was up to me, I would try to get my hands on one of those 3.0L V6 DOHC engines that come stock with the Mitsubishi 3000GTs and make the car RWD (since my tranny is messed up already).
Or I would try to get a DSM engine (the ones on those GSX Eclipses).
Why would I go with these engine? They have alot of aftermarket support, they make enough power and they are made for turbos.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong though...
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
spano

Post by spano »

from what you're telling me, i think it's a good idea, but what do you think it would cost to pick up one of those engines?
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

People swap in klze's because they are pretty well bolt on and make your mx a pretty fast car. After market support for the klze i would think would be the same as for the stock k8 engine. You can get all the regular bolt on's like headers, modded cai, udp,cat back, lightened flywheel etc..
But the best mod would be to swap the engine to klze, or even kfze or klde is a big improvment over stock. And your in montreal there is a company there in Quebec called engine land that most have good things to say about them they carry engines and i think they can do the install too

<small>[ October 23, 2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: mxmaz ]</small>
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

hahahah juans mx-3, are you joking? those motors will not fit unless you do some major work to fit them, let alone the with the cost of doing such a swap would probably lead you to having one of the fastest mx-3's around with a good swap and upgrades, the reason people have chosen the kl-ze swap is because its a complete drop in minimal work is needed if you get the right kl-ze , and if a kl-ze isnt in your budget get a klde from an american ford probe or mx-6 those have less power but are cheaper, and they have a lower compression therefore allowing more boost if you turbo it , but dsm engines are a joke for our car if your gonna do that just buy rotary and have all the fun you want trying to swap that in cuz its about the same amount of work , hahah dsm engines in an mx-3 hahhahha rookie......... :laugh:

<small>[ October 23, 2004, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: koreanmx-er ]</small>
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Originally posted by koreanmx-er:
hahahah juans mx-3, are you joking? those motors will not fit unless you do some major work to fit them, let alone the with the cost of doing such a swap would probably lead you to having one of the fastest mx-3's around with a good swap and upgrades, the reason people have chosen the kl-ze swap is because its a complete drop in minimal work is needed if you get the right kl-ze , and if a kl-ze isnt in your budget get a klde from an american ford probe or mx-6 those have less power but are cheaper, and they have a lower compression therefore allowing more boost if you turbo it , but dsm engines are a joke for our car if your gonna do that just buy rotary and have all the fun you want trying to swap that in cuz its about the same amount of work , hahah dsm engines in an mx-3 hahhahha rookie......... :laugh:
I was just messing around about having a 3000GT engine in a MX3. I think they would still fit though if you make a MX3 RWD espically since the tranny would be behind the engine... probably...

<small>[ October 23, 2004, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Juan's MX3 ]</small>
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Originally posted by spano:
from what you're telling me, i think it's a good idea, but what do you think it would cost to pick up one of those engines?
Those 3000GT engine could cost from $2000 - $3000 (US money) without fuel pump, water pump and all the other stuff you need to get the engine running.
I was just messing around with that idea. It could probably happen though on a MX3.
Anyways, KLZE engine cost around $1100 (US money)
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

dont even consider all these other engines, unless you got very deep pockets. nothing would fit, it would be all custom and custom=$$. just go with a ze or de.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Originally posted by mxmaz:
After market support for the klze i would think would be the same as for the stock k8 engine.
I dont know much about the KL-ZE except for what the prices are going on those, but dont KL-ZE engines have alot more aftermarket support than the regular stock K8? Because unlike the K8, dont the KL-ZE 2.5L engines have aftermarket turbo kits, super chargers, heads, intake manifolds, throttle bodys, cams, pistons and all that other stuff? :confused2:
I got a newb question about the 2.5L KL-ZE.
Are aftermarket parts hard to find or get?

<small>[ October 23, 2004, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Juan's MX3 ]</small>
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

just dont give help to people unless you actually know what you are talking about , that just adds to the problem of newbs on the website with all this false info their getting, by posting topics that have been covered at least 30x , just my two cents :shrug:
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Originally posted by koreanmx-er:
just dont give help to people unless you actually know what you are talking about , that just adds to the problem of newbs on the website with all this false info their getting, by posting topics that have been covered at least 30x , just my two cents :shrug:
I was just messing around with the 3000GT engine idea. :rant2:
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Originally posted by Juan's MX3:
After market support for the klze i would think would be the same as for the stock k8 engine.
I dont know much about the KL-ZE except for what the prices are going on those, but dont KL-ZE engines have alot more aftermarket support than the regular stock K8? Because unlike the K8, dont the KL-ZE 2.5L engines have aftermarket turbo kits, super chargers, heads, intake manifolds, throttle bodys, cams, pistons and all that other stuff? :confused2:
As far as turbos and super chargers in the mx3, no matter what engine you have in there it is going to be a custom set up and its the same amount of work to turbo or supercharge either engine you have in there. The problem is the limited space under the hood. Things need to be relocated and modified and such. If you can do the work yourself, you can collect all parts required, and turbo it for relatively cheap.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Originally posted by Juan's MX3:
As far as turbos and super chargers in the mx3, no matter what engine you have in there it is going to be a custom set up and its the same amount of work to turbo or supercharge either engine you have in there. The problem is the limited space under the hood. Things need to be relocated and modified and such. If you can do the work yourself, you can collect all parts required, and turbo it for relatively cheap.
But how about aftermarket heads, cams, intake manifolds, pulleys, pistons and all the other stuff? They do have them available for the KL-ZE right?

<small>[ October 23, 2004, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Juan's MX3 ]</small>
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”