Not NSX Material :(

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Sam Baker

Not NSX Material :(

Post by Sam Baker »

ok.. this is the first time i've actually taken my car this fast, but i didnt expect this.. a little before 120mph, the engine cuts out. no more power. and i'm thinkin, "WTF?" my rpms were around 6500, and i hear all these people talkin about going 135mph+! so whats goin on? did i over rev it? is there a speed limiter before 120mph? info: i have a klze with k8 im, kl36 ecu from layzzie (which should have no restrictions), stock intake/exhaust, etc.. PLEASE HELP ME OUT SOMEBODY! :sadwavey:
92 Autozam AZ3
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: Not NSX Material :(

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Sam Baker:
.. a little before 120mph, the engine cuts out.
Cut-out? Do you mean it stopped firing and died, or just that it would not accelerate any more?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

well the kl36 has a build in speed limiter unless lazzye took it of before he sold it to ya...but mine cuts around 180km/h (sorry just don't know in mph)...

like Ian said..does it stall or it just doesn't have anymore power to go faster ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

damn... 180km/h is probably around where mine cut out. well, i guess it felt like the engine turned off. it sounded like the revs dropped (but for some reason i didnt watch the rpms).. but my engine was still on! it was hella wierd... but whats this about the disty? my car still runs fine, it just wouldnt go past that speed. i would have tried it a 2nd time but i was too freaked out that something went wrong on my car! :crying: but layzzie said he removed the limiters!!! wtf!!! how do i check? :freak:
92 Autozam AZ3
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Maybe your clutch was slipping and the revs were limiting. With the car stationary and in neutral, rev the engine and see if it will exceed 7500rpm (don't hold those revs for more than a couple of seconds). If it doesn't go higher, the fuel cut limiter is probably still there.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Nope, its a speed limiter. Japanese Ecu's came with it. Both kl31 and kl36:( There is a way to remove it, search PT. There is a pin on the ecu harness that you have to pull out. I forget which one....
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you've still got the K8 ECU, try that for a run. It'll run rich, but if it goes to 135 MPH, you know your KL ECU doesn't have the speed limiter disabled.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

lol, you try this after seeing my video or something. hahaha.

I would've gone higher than 120 but it was raining & i was coming up on a major onramp/exit that cops like to hang out at.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
aggressivemx

Post by aggressivemx »

i was driving home from denver and i topped out at 127mph at 6500 rpms. all i have is a stock k8 with intake and exaust.
Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drum
aggressivemx

Post by aggressivemx »

oh and mine didnt die, it just stopped climbing
Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drum
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

LOL nah GroHarlem man your vids were cool.. but i never planned to go this fast. i was *provoked*! :eek: (see title of this thread) i'm not gonna say anything more, cuz i respect that there is a rule not to talk about street racing on this board :shrug: ... anywayz thanks for the input! i dont plan on doing this again soon, but it would be nice to have an unrestricted engine hehe
92 Autozam AZ3
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

Originally posted by aggressivemx:
oh and mine didnt die, it just stopped climbing
yea mine didnt turn off or anything.. it did what yours did. the rpms wouldnt go further :werd:
92 Autozam AZ3
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Originally posted by aggressivemx:
i was driving home from denver and i topped out at 127mph at 6500 rpms. all i have is a stock k8 with intake and exaust.
That's exactly what you should top out with that set up. However, Sam has a klze with the klze ecu which is out of a Japanese domestic car. I GUARANTEE 100 % that the speed limiter is what sam is talking about. The klze with our stock transmission is capable of 140 mph on a probe gt ecu(kl48). I've done it(It was more like 139 mph but i guarantee I could have squeezed out another mph if I would have kept on it). Reason? The American 2.5 ecu doesn't have a speed limiter.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

mine was going 126mph with stock k8 and i still had another 1k rpm range
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”