intake gains on your cars

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MOSES

intake gains on your cars

Post by MOSES »

im about to join your v6 comunity, right now i have a panzy 1.6 sohc, id like to get some info off you guys, what kind of gains are we talkin with the cold air intake on the v6?
compared to the 1.6, the v6 doesnt seem to have much more torque, im guessin the v6 do have alot more power, more horsepower, but by the specs, the fpt seem to be close. all info welcome, and feel free to do some short bragging!!!
thanks all
I've been so unsatisfied with my car since I joined mx3.com.
Seeing all the body kits, rims and engine swaps makes me want to spend all my student loans on my car.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: intake gains on your cars

Post by Mnemonic »

same gains as every other car with a CAI bout 5hp
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

ford claims to have 30 hp gain with the cold air intake, thats more then likly ram air, say compared to the 4 cyl, the v6 would have better gain?
you say 5hp? i would of geussed maybe 10, but you guys keep comin with some info
Seeing all the body kits, rims and engine swaps makes me want to spend all my student loans on my car.
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

30hp gain from a custom cold air?

Thats no way possible, maybe if you change the intake of the air, and the exhast system. Even then your looking at 17 to 25+ hp gains, but 30 is impossible even if you expose the filter to "real" cold air.

Thats my understanding anyway. Usually its not that noticable with the exception of the sound.
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

real cold air? as in my deep freeze air?
most of these mustangs have the hood scoop for ram air, but i have not seen the dyno or anything, just read it on a kn filter brochere.
Im not hearing any bragging from you guys, your v6s must have some bragging rights.
Redhouse

Post by Redhouse »

much better sound, much better throttle response when blipping the throttle, smoother idle and sure... there's more hp right at the peak but i would never say its a 5hp gain through the entire band...

its not going to make you outperform any car you couldn't already outperform in a stock gs. except a stock gs perhaps :)

but it makes the car much nicer to drive.
1996 Black GS 1.8l w. PRM intake and custom exhaust, zx2 strut conversion and Intrax springs, B&M short shifter and SRD bronzoil bushings, Ractive front and rear strut bars, Raxles axles, ESpec clear markers and front signals w. driving lights, Alpine headunit with 10" JL sub, jbl amp and front speakers.

Awaiting installation: Magnecore 8.5 Comp. ignition wires, ACT Stage 1 clutch w. SS clutch line, Outlaw phenolic spacers.
ZEmadman

Post by ZEmadman »

does a PRM or other such intake swap over w/the ZE swap? or does it matter on manifold, TB bore and all that?
Kokiriwave

Post by Kokiriwave »

real cold air? as in my deep freeze air?
most of these mustangs have the hood scoop for ram air, but i have not seen the dyno or anything, just read it on a kn filter brochere.
Im not hearing any bragging from you guys, your v6s must have some bragging rights.
Doesn't make to much of a difference in hp. The bragging rights lies with the people with the klze 2.5L swap, usually not the 1.8L K8
much better sound, much better throttle response when blipping the throttle, smoother idle and sure... there's more hp right at the peak but i would never say its a 5hp gain through the entire band...

its not going to make you outperform any car you couldn't already outperform in a stock gs. except a stock gs perhaps

but it makes the car much nicer to drive.
Amen to that
I want MAZDASPEED!
MY WEBSITE:: http://kingmx.net
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

anything that fits the K8 for a intake will work on the ZE if you get the millenia intake mani, where the TB sits is so close you can even use hte stock intake like i did for a while and i got a few bragging rights

<small>[ September 16, 2004, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: papa roached ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
gnashings

Post by gnashings »

MOSES, I hope I don't dampen your enthusiasm, but you will have to do some studying - there are so many things you read or hear that are inaccurate or completely false.

First of all, most mods improve power on a level best expressed by a percantage - perhaps someone could gain 30 hp on a 300+hp V8 with a really restrictive intake (even so, its highly unlikely). Not on our little 138hp 1.8L v6, not even on the KLZE. One more thing to consider: the better the design of all the components from the factory, the smaller the gains with aftermarket parts - simply, the factory did a bigger part of your work for you.

My humble opinion is this: read up on your car and on the engines you are considering. Then, read up on what mods work best for those engines and why - this forum and others like it are a great place to hear from guys who have "been there, doen that" - you will save yourself a lot of hassles, hit and miss attempts and trial and error by learning from their experiences. The best way to mod your engine or any part of your car is to gain a thorough understanding of the principles that make these mods work combined with the knowledge of those who have experience there. Randomly bolting on parts wihtout really knowing why and how they work (or are supposed to work) is a recipe for a huge credit card bill and a slow car...

And as with anything in life, there is no magic solutions here - if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Always go with the companies and mods that give you the most backing to their claims, not the biggest advertised hp gains.

I don't know what kind of driving interests you, but one thing I found true over the years, is that the biggest gains for the least money can be made by upgrading the driver, not the car. Please don't take that as an insult - everyone had to learn some time, its just amazing how people get cought up in "modding" and overlook their abilities.

Just some genereal thoughts, I hope they help!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by MOSES:
ford claims to have 30 hp gain with the cold air intake, thats more then likly ram air, say compared to the 4 cyl, the v6 would have better gain?
you say 5hp? i would of geussed maybe 10, but you guys keep comin with some info
Forget ram air - to achieve a measurable gain with ram air you would need to be over 200-250 mph!

The B6E engine has 98 ft lb torque and 88 hp, the B6ZE (94/95 MX-3s) has 100 and 105, and the K8DE has 115 and 130, but the difference in the driving experience is much greater than you would expect from those numbers. The V6 seems to have much more torque low down (say from 2,000 rpm) and the curve is flatter. I just could not get any satisfactory performance out of the 4 cyl (B6ZE) which I tried, which is why I bought a V6.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Throwing any estimate out there is retarded & pointless unless you have dyno chart proof to show the before/after results of your own CAI.

People's testimonials are one thing, but asking for HP gains is going to give you a bunch of BS claims like the "all cars get 5hp gains with CAI" and "30hp" already posted in this thread.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I did a bigger intake manifold, 60mm throttle body, and a CAI. With all that, I'd be surprised if I'm getting more than 5 HP.
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

gnashings
I have great respect for the knowledge and time you put in the reply, thanks alot, this board needs more like you.
The v6 in itself would be an upgrade in itself for me, since i drive the panzy sohc 1.6.
as for you guys, more bragging!, the 4 cyl guys always boast about there cars, you guys must have more.
endocyc

Post by endocyc »

OK so a friend of mine has a generic G-tech meter (estimates HP) the Toronto Mx-3 club got together and did a few runs with it, here is how all engines measured up

SOHC 1.6 pulled 60's
DOHC 1.6 pulled 70's
DOHC 1.8 pulled 80's

Now this isnt a DYNO run and its not 100% accurate. HP varies amounst drivers ability aswell. but it was fun and gave an idea of the differences. Oh and last week I puller a 168hp from a friends Acura RSX. with that very same meter..

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”