failed e-test

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fry_81

failed e-test

Post by fry_81 »

well i just got back from an e-test and man am i ticked. i just dumped $2000 for the safety on this car a week ago. i replaced the cat. converter, oil was just changed, new air filter. yet it still failed horribly, and i mean horribly lol. it failed every test they do by twice the most amount or more(1 test it failed by 5 times the amount) lol it sucks but i found it humorous to fail that badly. the bright side is, it gives me a good reason to do a swap, will the engines pass an e-test?(klze,klde,kL-03)
thanks, chris.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Macen

Re: failed e-test

Post by Macen »

KL-DE (KL-03) should be fine I have heard. Don't know about the KL-ZE.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

My 130k mile DE passed with flying colors.

I would check your 02 sensors and ignition system. Ever get a CEL? Checked for stored codes?
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Check for codes as said above. Also, anything happen with your timing belt since last test? I failed 4 times screwing with stuff until I figured I just put one cam off 1 tooth. Drove perfectly fine, but it was enough to screw up the emissions.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

ya ill check for codes later on, if it fails again, ill swap to a KLDE, could use the power. :)
also yes there has been a change in the timing, i put a new water pump and timing belt on last week, after putting the pump on i sent to car to a mechanic to do the timing, so it better not be messed up.
thanks for the replies.
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Could you post up the limits? I want to compare to my test. I think they gave me a lot of slack.
They put N/A for egr system, pcv system...well everything but the cat. :2thumbsup:
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

these are the limits while its on the dyno.
HC ppm-79
CO%-0.44
NO ppm-605
Measured at 1868 RPM.
these are the limits while idle.
HC ppm-200
CO%-1.00
NO ppm-N/A
measured at 676 RPM.
I passed the idle portion, but failed the dyno portion terribly lol.
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Mine are exactly the same. Guess I didn't get slack after all. :D

Wait, measured at 1800 rpm??? Thats not valid is it? Mine was measured at 2871. Bring it back and tell them to do it properly.

<small>[ August 17, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: mazdubber ]</small>
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

I agree w/rebel2k4. Since you seem sure of the timing the 02 sensor(s) are high probability suspects as the perpetrators of this excessive emmissions crime...
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

lol.. i took mine yesterday and failed it too! might be the ecu? i swapped mine back in because the check engine light wouldnt come on :( but i hella hope an adjustment will save me!

my NO level at 15mph was 2100 :eek: hahahahhaha
92 Autozam AZ3
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

Originally posted by Sam Baker:
my NO level at 15mph was 2100 :eek: hahahahhaha
you beat me man lol do you dare view mine?
2810 :eek: lol
hmmmm thats strange that the rpm could be so far off from yours mazdubber, ill go back there and ask what this is all about, also ill swap the O2's, if it fails....i will surely cry lol. then i will put a DE in lol.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by fry_81:

also yes there has been a change in the timing, i put a new water pump and timing belt on last week, after putting the pump on i sent to car to a mechanic to do the timing, so it better not be messed up.
Don't be so sure. The timing belt on our engines is tricky because if you don't know the trick to set the crank counterclockwise a tick when placing the belt on, your timing will be off after the tensioner pin is pulled. That's how I screwed mine up. Don't forget alot of mechanics know GENERAL repair knowledge, but don't know alot of tricks to maintaing certain cars unless they are familiar with that specific car.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

ya dont get me wrong, im not being stubborn and saying "theres no way, 100% its not the timing, not going to even investigate it" it is a very good possibility thats what it is(i really hope its not)
ya i noticed that, when i took the timing belt tension off, the pulleys moved and it scared the bajeebis out of me lol knowing horror stories of incorrect timing damage, i admitted defeat and sent it to the mechanics.
SamS

Post by SamS »

I failed the test last month with my stock GS. It had a hole rusted in the back of the muffler and the mechanic we took it to said i should replace the O2 sensors. Instead, I went to AutoZone and bought a $7 bottle of "Guaranteed To Pass Emissions". YOu fill up your tank, pour it in, drive through the whole tank, then fill it up again and take the test. I passed with my results being less than half of the first test. I'd say it's definitely worth a try.
1996 Mazda Miata, Turbo'd
2003 Ducati Monster 620ie
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by fry_81:
lol knowing horror stories of incorrect timing damage, i admitted defeat and sent it to the mechanics.
Kinda hard to damage the K engines from wrong timing. I don't remember anyone killing thier engine from wrong timing. They're non-interference engines, so kinda hard to do. I ran mine for about a month with blatently wrong timing settings - wrong enough that it ran like total *** . I kinda knew it was wrong, but I had to get me engine back together as it was laready late Sunday night, and my 'knoledgable' help had already went home. Then, when I got time to go back, I got it on the right ticks, but I was looking at the wrong ticks for the rear cam gear so it ended up a tooth off, with the front one on the right tooth. So it ran seemingly normal, but was enough off to fail emmissions. I was so sure I was right the last time, I spent money on all new O2 sensors and a few other parts, multiple TPS adjustments, etc. The only reason I went back under the timing cover was a I finally got the $140 together for the new timing belt tensioner. Boy did I feel dumb. :confused:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”