Constant Dying

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Flying Low

Constant Dying

Post by Flying Low »

Ok, got my car home yesterday, paid 1200 for it, and everytime I start it, if I dont start revving the engine it dies. Also, when I'm coasting, it dies. It's like if it gets under 1000rpm, it starts sputtering and it dies, and the check oil, and charge battery light come on. I'm not too worried about it yet, because I'm not really going to drive it at all for about a year or so, but I'd at least like to have it running. Any ideas? Thanks!

-chris
i dont drive fast, i fly low...
shuan24

Re: Constant Dying

Post by shuan24 »

Could be a variety of problems, IMO. Have you checked the usual suspects? (batter, alternator...) Most likey it sounds like a idling problem, something I am experiencing myself. (Totally different symptoms though.)
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

check and make sure the VAF is plugged properly, try resetting the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) (check the FAQ section).
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Yeah most likely a tps sensor that was messed with . wow 1200 is a great price for one of these babies. Could be the alternator or a vacu,m hose not connected. One spark plug could be fouled, ign wires can be worn out,check ign components.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I'd guess you have a vacuum leak. The accordian hose that goes to the throttle body likes to split and cause a nice big leak.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by TsiMiata:
I'd guess you have a vacuum leak. The accordian hose that goes to the throttle body likes to split and cause a nice big leak.
It could be anywhere along the intake inlcuding TB-IM and IM-Deck points. Get a bottle of starting fluid and spray it at various points along the intake tract to see where the offending leak may be.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

I agree the symptoms sound an awful lot like unmetered air is leaking into the intake stream from a crack in the large ribbed intake hose. If so, that crack either closes at higher rpms or the leaking air is somewhat compensated for at higher rpms. Check that hose visually by removing it and eyeballing 360 degrees around and between the ribs while flexing the hose. If you detect any cracks, a temporary wrapping of duct tape can seal it til you replace the hose. I've had this happen now on two older model Mazdas and this cause is easy to check and often overlooked.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”