RPM cut off @ 5500

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
your2slow

RPM cut off @ 5500

Post by your2slow »

Hey all, just wondering what would cause a total loss of power @ 5500 RPM. I've got a 96 mx-3(OBDII)runing with a kl-ze and in first gear when i hit 5500 RPM there is no more pull, the RPMs keep going up but no pull what-so-ever. 2nd, 3rd,4th and 5th seem to be fine but 1st just cuts out. Here is some info on my ride
Stock 1.8 ECU
Stock VAF
KL-ZE
ZE IM
New headers with 2.5 from the CAT
2 O2 sensors (should be 4 but new headers only had spots for 2)
??? anything else that you need let me know. Just wanna know if anyone else has this issue with thier ZE.

<small>[ August 07, 2004, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: your2slow ]</small>
KL-ZE, Custom Intake, Apex Lowering Springs, and more to come this year.

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site
hgallegos915

Re: RPM cut off @ 5500

Post by hgallegos915 »

I have heard issues with people having problems while using a k8 ecu. I thinik you need to get the klze ecu. not sure bout it yet.. i havent done the swap myself.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

you ever think of nabing a OBD II KL-DE VAF, im running a OBD1 K8 ECU and KL-DE VAF because thats as good as you can get of a combo save for a ZE ecu or have you tried getting the KL-DE ECU too?
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm not too sure about OBDII Mx-3, but when i was running my K8 ECU it was running extremenly rich and drinking gas
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Here's a logical deduction - it does not have to be correct, but it could be:

The ECU does not know what gear you are in - there is no instrumentation in a MTX to tell it. All it knows is Neutral or not-Neutral. So maybe the Neutral Switch in the tranny is out of adjustment and is saying neutral when you are in first? That could cause the ECU to restrict torque.

You can test this theory by unplugging the Neutral Switch connector. Then the engine will always think you are in gear.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
your2slow

Post by your2slow »

Originally posted by IanL:

The ECU does not know what gear you are in - there is no instrumentation in a MTX to tell it. All it knows is Neutral or not-Neutral. So maybe the Neutral Switch in the tranny is out of adjustment and is saying neutral when you are in first? That could cause the ECU to restrict torque.

You can test this theory by unplugging the Neutral Switch connector. Then the engine will always think you are in gear.
Hmmm I'm going to try that. Never even thought of this.
KL-ZE, Custom Intake, Apex Lowering Springs, and more to come this year.

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Originally posted by IanL:

Is the neutral switch normally open, and gets closed only when the trans is in neutral? if so your test should work fine. A better alternative might be if you have a multi-meter and a few clip leads. You should be able to disconnect the switch, connect the meter to it, and observe if the switch is open or closed in all possible positions of the trans.. (all 6 gears, and all 3 neutral positions (left, center, right)) to see if everything is behaving as it should. That test can be done sitting still :)
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Tempus:
Is the neutral switch normally open, and gets closed only when the trans is in neutral? if so your test should work fine. A better alternative might be if you have a multi-meter and a few clip leads. You should be able to disconnect the switch, connect the meter to it, and observe if the switch is open or closed in all possible positions of the trans.. (all 6 gears, and all 3 neutral positions (left, center, right)) to see if everything is behaving as it should. That test can be done sitting still :)
Yes, it is only closed when in neutral, and that's an excellent idea, if it shows the problem up. But it did occur to me that it may only show when the box is transmitting torque (if the condition is marginal) so, if the test shows no problem, it would not be conclusive.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

get an AFPR...its the one thing I still need to realize the full potential of my ZE too...i can't squeeze any power past 6500.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Are you suggesting that the lack of power above 5,500 rpm, but only in first gear, is caused by fuel starvation? I'm not saying you're wrong, but why only in first?

<small>[ August 09, 2004, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

where abouts is the neutral switch on the tranny, mine started doing the same thing and was working fine for a while....
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

It seems from the manual to be below and slightly in front of the right side driveshaft, with a cable which leads rearwards and upwards.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”